Views: 4036|Replies: 20

2 Earth-like planets found   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-4-19 11:41:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-4-19 12:10

[size=12.222222328186035px]This undated handout artist concept provided by Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics shows the newly discovered planets named Kepler-62e and -f. Scientists using NASA's Kepler telescope have found two distant planets that are in the right place and are the right size for potential life.

WASHINGTON -- NASA's planet-hunting telescope hasdiscovered two planets that seem like ideal places for some sort of life toflourish. They are just the right size and in just the right place near theirstar.
The distant duo are the best candidatesfor habitable planets that astronomers have found so far, said William Borucki, the chief scientist for NASA's Kepler telescope.
The discoveries, published onlineThursday in the journal Science, mark a milestone in the search for planetswhere life could exist.In the past when astronomers foundexoplanets - planets outside our solar system - they haven't fit all the criteriathat would make them right for life. Many planets aren't in the habitable zone- where it's not too hot and not too cold for liquid water. And until now, thehandful of planets astronomers found in that ideal zone, were just too big.Those are likely to be gas balls like Neptune and that's not suitable for life.
Similarly, the Earth-size planets thathad been found weren't in the right place near their stars, Borucki said.In the Goldilocks game of looking forother planets like ours, the new discoveries, called Kepler-62-e andKepler-62-f are just right. And they are fraternal twins. They circle the samestar, an orange dwarf, and are next to each other - closer together than Earthand its neighbor Mars.
The planets are slightly wider thanEarth, but not too big. Kepler-62-e is a bit toasty, like a Hawaiian world andKepler-62-f is a bit nippy, more Alaskan, Borucki said.
"This is the first one where I'mthinking `Huh, Kepler-62-f really might have life on it'," said studyco-author David Charbonneau of Harvard. "This is a very important barrierthat's been crossed. Why wouldn't it have life?"
Both planets are tantalizing. The dozensof researchers who co-authored the study disagree on which one is better suitedto life. Lisa Kaltenegger of the Max Planck Institute of Astronomy in Germanylikes Kepler-62-3 more because it's closer to the star and is warmer. She saidit is probably "like Washington in May."
Pennsylvania State University professorJames Kasting, who wasn't part of the research, called the findings "a bigdiscovery."The planets are 1,200 light years away.A light year is almost 6 trillion miles.The planets circle a star that is 7billion years old - about 2.5 billion years older than our sun."If there's life at all on thoseplanets, it must be very advanced," said Borucki.

thanks to my favourite meteo-site wunderground.com
sourcearticle

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2014-10-21 22:40:04 |Display all floors
WOW...THAT'S COOL
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-22 21:07:18 |Display all floors
."If there's life at all on thoseplanets, it must be very advanced," said Borucki.

Well then ask Boruki why that advanced life-presumably with advanced intelligence and technology-hasn't got in touch with us backward humans on earth-YET.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:32:47 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2014-10-22 21:07
."If there's life at all on thoseplanets, it must be very advanced," said Borucki.

Isn't physics amazing?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 09:52:26 |Display all floors
Moon

We haven't been able to get to the moon.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-24 20:58:36 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-10-23 01:32
Isn't physics amazing?

It certainly is man-try to get your head around ' Dark matter/energy '.  
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-24 21:26:50 |Display all floors
took a course in astronomy & didnt explore the universe wide enough just barely made it thru cos i skipped labs most of the time in the evenin (all came up in the final exam)  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.