Views: 20406|Replies: 75

Ding Dong Wicked Milk-Snatching Witch Is Dead   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-13 16:48:42 |Display all floors
From the ashes of Margaret Thatcher’s death an unlikely phoenix is rising to top of the UK’s music charts.

The Judy Garland classic Ding Dong the Witch is Dead, made famous by the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz, has soared up the download charts and is now the No.1 in the UK.

The unlikely resurgence in the song follows a Facebook campaign by the anti-Thatcher sentiment sweeping the UK following the death of the divisive former prime minister.

Love her or hate her, and I am more the latter, her funeral could easily turn into a protest by people who despised everything she stood for. The irony of police brutality and “kettling” even at her funeral will not be lost on the upper echelons of the boys in blue.

For me, my opinion was formed at a very young age. Her government banned the free milk given to all school children after morning playtime when I was about six years old. The policy earned her the nickname ‘Thatcher The Milk Snatcher’.

Sing along…Ding dong the wicked milk-snatching witch is dead….

But for those charged with policing next week’s funeral, the situation is more troubling than a silly song.

MPs and lords returned to parliament from the Easter recess on Wednesday to spend hours debating the death of the former prime minister.

The public already seem angry that part of the ten million pound cost of the funeral will be paid by the people. Even the tone of Britain’s newspapers changed overnight once they realized people held parties to celebrate her death.

David Winnick, the MP for Walsall North who has said parliament should be free to criticize the "brutal contempt" with which Margaret Thatcher treated millions of working people said: "It would be absolutely hypocritical if those of us who were opposed at the time to what occurred – the mass unemployment, the poverty – were to remain silent when the house is debating her life. This will be an opportunity to speak frankly.

"Obviously when a person dies one regrets it. But what I do regret first and foremost is the immense harm…where deindustrialization occurred.

"Even if it could be argued that some of it was inevitable, the manner in which it was done – the brutal contempt towards those who were innocent victims – was absolutely disgraceful."

The days ahead for Operation True Blue – the police codename for the funeral – will no doubt be tasking.

But one reason given for the cost of police operation and funeral is that Thatcher was once targeted for assassination by the IRA. Hardly worth it now, but very convenient to suppress genuine free speech under the guise of a threat of terrorism. Sound familiar?

The new Director General of the BBC has ordered Radio 1 to explain to young views on Sunday night primetime why a song from the 1930s has suddenly returned to the top of the music charts in the UK.  Pricless radio and a representation of modern social networking outbeating tired old thinking from Thatcher-loving Alan Partridge types who dreamed of raising chickens in the countryside and failed.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQyMDM1NDY4.html

[size=12.222222328186035px]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-14 10:41:33 |Display all floors
A piece from the Guardian says "Ding Dong over Thather song makes the BBC no better than China" in reference to censorship.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commen ... -thatcher-bbc-china

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-14 14:00:31 |Display all floors
why do people think they should get free milk at school?
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-4-14 16:58:29 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2013-4-14 14:00

I got free milk as a primary school student in Australia. It ensures poor students get milk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-14 22:01:44 |Display all floors
When Australia stopped it
Did you cry like the Brits?
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-14 22:09:49 |Display all floors
Just can't understand after so many years so many are carrying on about her policies
When Blair took office did he restore British manufacturing and mining
I suspect not.
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-14 22:17:25 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2013-4-14 14:00

There are many reasons why children do not get proper diets; most of them are not the fault of the children. The idea of providing free milk and in some cases a free breakfast is to give the students food for thought. The rational of providing the milk, being that the students will learn better and be less disruptive in the class than if they were malnourished.  
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.