Author: sunnylin01

What bad habits do you find most annoying while living in China?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-4-12 16:57:17 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2013-4-12 16:30
wait a moment, have posted link, needs verification.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 17:50:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by shengshi at 2013-4-12 17:56

noise disturb especially burning firecrackers at inappropriate time. making mobile phone calls loudly in public place
Regardless of the occasion smoking, ignoring the no smoking signs.
Force participants in a meal/banquet to binge spirit, especially the grooms in wedding banquet, force the bride and groom to do things they thought amusing but actually dumb show
Speaking in dialect not paying  attention to the occasion
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 19:34:18 |Display all floors
If people choose to live in a foreign country they must accept the cultural differences. However, I think the most noticeable aspect is general inconsideration for others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 21:08:37 |Display all floors
To me, it was littering. Just throwing trash down in the street. It is one thing to throw an orange peel or apple core into the bushes when one is out for a walk in the country, but another thing entirely to throw food wrappers down.

When I was visiting Guangzhou a few months ago. I noticed people just drop their litter everywhere, but there aren't many trash cans, so no much choice! But then, I see a lot more people walking around cleaning up the streets in the early hours too.

In US cities, we have trash cans everywhere and only the low class people litter. The people go and empty the trash cans, but generally do not pick up garbage from the street, so when people litter here, it stays around longer.

It was annoying to me that there is no toilet paper in public toilets. That is a common courtesy here.

Spitting is not unique to China, but people tend not to do it in populous areas in the US.

One other thing that bugged me was the motorcycle taxi drivers parking right on the sidewalk, and blocking foot traffic. Everyone has to walk around them, and they don't care. Those guys would be ticketed immediately in the US. But it is a cultural thing, I guess. My girlfriend told me they are illegal, but it is hard to catch them and prove what they were doing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-13 06:47:46 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2013-4-12 16:57
These bad habits are unique to China, that's why expats will find them annoying.

So? What if those habits don't relate to expats habits? They are in another country, they should adapt to the local habits. Can't understand the absurdity of Chinese willing to change their local habits just because they want to please the white colonist males.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-4-13 07:04:11 |Display all floors
Smaug Post time: 2013-4-12 21:08
To me, it was littering. Just throwing trash down in the street. It is one thing to throw an orange  ...

Just remember ....all the things that annoy you.....will not change.....If they still annoy you in a year....time to leave......

BTW ALWAYS, I MEAN ALWAYS, CARRY A PACKAGE OF TISSUES......YOU WILL NEVER FIND ANY IN ANY REST ROOM...
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-4-13 07:06:01 |Display all floors
i GET very Annoyed every time I go to Starbucks and some beautiful woman, tried to pick me up...
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.