Views: 67282|Replies: 98

What major troubles have you encountered in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-12 15:32:07 |Display all floors
So you are coming to China, or you’ve just landed. It’s all new, unusual and confusing.

Your mind is probably buzzing with questions. What’s a laowai?  What do I do if I fall ill ? How much tax do I pay? How do I get my money out? Where can I get my favorite perfume/beer/chocolate/music?

There's no need to worry, because we have lots of friendly Chinese members and know-it-all expats in our forum.

Have you encountered any major troubles living in China?
Are you still experiencing culture shock?

Welcome to ask questions or share your stories about life in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 15:32:32 |Display all floors
[url=][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 15:33:56 |Display all floors
[url=][/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-12 21:17:51 |Display all floors
You know, when I visited China, I had the hardest time just complying with visa requirements. I applied for and got the visa I needed. But since I was staying with a citizen, I technically needed to check in with the local police when I got to her home.

She said I didn't need to do that, I said I would like to try to comply with all the rules, to avoid problems later. So we went there. The officer said he cannot help us, we need to come back later, when the chief is there. We came back later, he said I need to have specific pictures taken to register properly.

This is my VACATION. I don't want to spend all my time chasing the police around, taking criminal-type pictures of myself... Finally, we gave up.

Now what? Maybe my visa application will be denied next time, because I did not comply with all the rules. I get the impression that Americans are not welcome in China, and it is a shame.

Another problem is that I cannot see the sights without being nagged to buy a watch from certain people. Too bad, that was a very interesting historic street in Guangzhou, with ancient streets preserved below. But every two minutes, some old lady wanted me to buy a fake Rolex from her. I tried to decline politely, but they will not listen unless I am rude. Too bad!

The toilets built into the floor took some getting used to. I'm glad I'm young and have good knees and back! Older Americans could not handle this. We do not bend over or squat down much in our everyday life, so we are not as flexible as Chinese. ;)

I liked the cultural differences though. People having fun playing MahJong in the streets.

Most Chinese citizens I saw in public or in the metro did not seem very happy though. Just very tired; that made me kind of sad for them.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-4-13 07:15:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-4-15 10:16
Smaug Post time: 2013-4-12 21:17
You know, when I visited China, I had the hardest time just complying with visa requirements. I appl ...

Don't be sad for Chinese People...rTHEY ARE VERY PROUD SMART PEOPLE.....as for the toilets...it's impossible to catch something bad from the toilet seat.....

SPEAKING OF THE BATHROOM....DID YOU KNOW IN CHINA A NUMBER ONE IS CALLED A NUMBER 2 AND VISA VERSA....

NO TROUBLES.....everything's coming up Roses for me and my GF

I miss thong's
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-16 01:42:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ElinaT at 2013-4-16 01:43
Smaug Post time: 2013-4-12 21:17
You know, when I visited China, I had the hardest time just complying with visa requirements. I appl ...

A big part of your post was really funny. May be your judgement was clouded by the unpleasantries with the visa officials. I had a good laugh in the "squat down" section! Ha, ha, ha....:) Flexibility is the key to using public toilets in China! This is hilarious!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-16 08:27:43 |Display all floors
Living far from home, even for a short period of time, can be really hard at the beginning. We have to remember that all changes are difficult.Just adjust yourself to it!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.