Author: Revolutionar

What is rape?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-25 20:11:18 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-3-25 14:44
Rape is also called "violation" of a person's integrity. The word "violation" comes from violence. T ...
However, we do not really know what causes some people to attack vulnerable others

There is a wealth of information as to why rapist attack.  You don't think these guys are interviewed and used in studies?

We've been studying this hard for the last 30-50 years in academia. Its not that big of a mystery.  You just haven't made any effort to educate yourself about it.

Also: if people are physically capable of raping others, their hormones and their sexual prowess must be optimised to perform at command. There must therefore be some desire for sexual gratification.

If rape can give a man sexual gratification, perhaps you just don't understand the nature of rape.  Nothing sexual about it except that sex organs are used.

Its a display of dominance.  You see this in the animal kingdom with males even mounting other males to show dominance.  Has nothing at all to do with sex.  My female dog mounts my son's male dog to show who is the dominant one in the house.  She doesn't think she can have sex - its about establishing order - who is the 'top' and who is the 'bottom'.  Rape comes from a very primitive part of our brains.

So, if you want to look at causes - if someone is looking to show power - it must mean that he feels emasculated.  This can be perception and based upon our gender roles we have made for ourselves.  I was reading some commentary from an indian source on the recent outrage and someone mentioned something very interesting.  He said that there is pressure on men to always want sex and if you don't, you're not a 'man'.   So he is suggesting that some of the causes in india have to do with men trying to prove they are indeed a 'man'.  This comes from a place of insecurity.

I think there are many pressures on men to fit into what is defined as 'manly'.  I do this even myself.  We're so used to doing it, its not even questioned.  Males are the worst at enforcing these stereotypes on each other.

Maybe we should look at what society is doing to males to make them feel they need a show of power.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-25 20:22:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-3-25 20:37
JFenix Post time: 2013-3-25 19:56
What is sexual rape?

violent action intended to archive sexual satisfaction (for rapist), usually by performing variation of sexual intercourse - (vaginal, anal, oral, masturbation, etc.)

rape itself may have many "faces", and it is a word used to desctibe many unwanted and violent activities

and Yes I agree... most of the rapes, even if a sexual intercourse is involved, are based on need of domination (ment not in BDSM meaning - SSC)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-25 20:40:57 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-3-25 20:22
violent action intended to archive sexual satisfaction (for rapist), usually by performing variatio ...

So are you defining date rape s sexual rape?  I'm just confused as to your meaning here.

A rapist can penetrate a woman without the intent being sexual or for sexual satisfaction.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-25 20:42:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-3-25 20:24
Some people - you for example! - study a certain aspect or subject for "30 to 50 years" in an "aca ...

You know, you can educate yourself on this topic seneca.  

I know you like sounding intelligent.  Maybe you should think about it instead of getting so damn defensive.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-25 20:42:31 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-3-24 18:51
Rape is about forcibly trying to thread a moving needle.

Civilised people dont do it.

the more civilized you are the more harm will be done, and rape is nuttin but XES  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-25 20:47:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-3-25 20:49
JFenix Post time: 2013-3-25 20:40
So are you defining date rape s sexual rape?  I'm just confused as to your meaning here.

A rapist ...

of course "date rape" is sexual rape in that meaning, also "party rape", when one person performs sexual intercourse with other person who is under influence of some chemical substances reducing consciousnesses (alcohol, drugs, etc.)

"party rape" don't have to be a rape caused by need of power exchange, sometimes just a unability to controll sexual tension (no delayed gratification) and usually also consciouness disorder caused by some substances mentioned above

every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is square  ;)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-25 20:51:46 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-3-25 20:47
of course "date rape" is sexual rape in that meaning, also "party rape", when one person performs s ...

Do you think the Steubenville case was 'party rape'?  This girl was unconscious.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.