Views: 15980|Replies: 83

Cyprus in perspective [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-22 21:18:41 |Display all floors
[This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2013-3-22 21:37]

The ECBtoday set a Monday deadline for the island nation to finalize an agreement with the bank, the European Union and IMF in order to qualify for emergency funding. If no deal is reached by the Monday deadline Cypruswill lose access to emergency funds and its banking system could collapse. That’s especially bad news for the Cypriot economy because not only does it depend on its banks, as most economies do, but its banking system is 7 to 8 times the size of its 70-billion-euro GDP.

Cyprus, in perspective.

Ok, Cyprus banks 8 times its national economy. The banks lost their money in the EU crisis and need rescue or go bust.

EU says tax the depositors.

Financial markets don't like it.

What you think? What happening?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-22 21:39:51 |Display all floors
I think tax the depositors is the best recommendation.
most fair recommendation.

the depositors will have to lose, one way or another.

yet,

the media did not like it

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-22 22:21:29 |Display all floors
Depositors are creditors
And creditors lose

What is unacceptable?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-23 09:18:40 |Display all floors
Cyprus, a tax haven for Russian mafias.....international money laudering.

That is why Cyprus turned to Russia for help and why it was turned down by Putin.

What Cyprus need to do is to confiscate the foreigner money and all will be well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-23 09:33:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-23 09:51:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TheHermit at 2013-3-23 09:52
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-3-23 09:18
Cyprus, a tax haven for Russian mafias.....international money laudering.

That is why Cyprus turned ...

What Cyprus needs to do is what Iceland did..... they should lock-up the banksters, nationalise the banks and issue their own currency. They can then print whatever amount is necessary to salvage their economy.

Borrowing money to pay debt is madness.. The mask fell off the face of the banksters, and people can finally see what the scam was all about.

Cyprus is the test case, if they succeed there will be nothing stopping them from doing the same elsewhere.

Funny that the countries threatened with bankruptcy, are the ones standing to benefit in the near future from their natural resources. The scheme is designed to steal their resources and leave them with nothing.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-23 09:52:57 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2013-3-23 09:33
cypriots need to stfu and pay the levy. How much they owe relative to their size is pretty unmatch ...

Actually the whole affair got little to do with domestic Cypriots.

A banking system 8 times its GDP.

Some estimates that 80% of its deposit base is foreigner money.
Remember, Cyprus is a tax haven and money laudering center.

It would be rather unfair if domestic depositors have to suffer.

So far, the talking heads on TV and financial analysts in business channels have done a poor job of explaining the situation.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.