Author: lau_guan_kim

Abe’s Japan gambit backfires: China’s Diaoyu survey is a smart move   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-21 19:26:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2013-3-21 19:27
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-3-21 19:23
We are talking peaches, not persimmons.

Mongolia......

Mongolia mangoes more sweet Than Diao rocks
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 19:29:10 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 19:40:28 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-3-21 19:29
Is that your warped sense of reasoning?

Your drooling and salivating is because you benefit from  ...

Lau

You discourse properly

bottomline

I am more likely to die of an asteroid hitting earth than in a new war...................................

You think got war?

Must be very silly to think there is new war.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 19:55:13 |Display all floors
Maybe the best outcome for Japan is never Diaoyu/Senkaku, maybe the best outcome for Japan is that US and China to cancel each other out, better still Russia too gets cancelled out along with them. That way Japan can rule supreme bitting off big parts of Asia and North America. Maybe Japan knows that Philippines and Vietnam are never ever capable of matching them especially when Philippines being one of the more advance South East Asian nation previously have now descended into one of the least advance. Maybe that's why Japan thinks the latter two can be coerced into touting China. At best they become good sacrificial pawns and anyway they will themselves to that.

But for the US. it is too smart to fall for Japan's ruse. Hopefully US don't get too carried away with an apparent obedient Japan. It can be a costly mistake. US definitely will not form alliances on Japan's, Philippine's or Vietnam's terms. Why would the sole superpower yield that low? Maybe all US wants is these three to stay obedient and quiet, making noise only when asked to. Maybe what US wants is that China genuinely acknowledges its status.

Maybe what US wants of China, is difficult for China to do, when thoughts of humiliation are still fresh in its mind. The Chinese themselves had claimed that to avoid confrontation is to have their country stable and strong enough economically and militarily to deter confrontation. This however challenges US' supremacy indirectly. So the Chinese have to find a way to achieve that stability and strength and at the same time avoid being viewed as challenging US' supremacy. Perhaps some form of high profiled collaboration with US internationally will allay the notion of China trying to challenge US supremacy.

As China enhances its relations with US it will need to strength its others too, with Russia, Europe and Asia. Of all actions, perhaps most important for China is its own unification amidst allaying US' fears.  China is a keen economic nation. So it should have warm relations with US not confrontational. Once US-China were good partners, so how have this descended into bitter rivalry? Maybe both need soul-searching. Maybe once China is properly unified and internally stabilized, it will be easier for China to trust and work closer with others.There won't be a need for revenge against another nation (its meaningless and it won't revive the dead or heal the suffered) or to unseat the sole superpower (what is the wisdom of adding more problems when China and Asia themselves are already saddled with huge difficult problems of their own?). If this is the case then it is a question how China convinces others on this point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 21:01:30 |Display all floors
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-22 07:59:45 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-22 08:12:07 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.