Author: vincent01

Top China universities scrap English   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-19 11:10:44 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-3-19 11:01
This only makes sense. Imagine the negative impact on engineering schools in the USA if passing
a Ma ...

Studying English will help Chinese students learn more about the world and vice versa.  China should reform its education system that focuses on exams and rote learning instead of scrapping the subject of English.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-3-19 11:21:14 |Display all floors
vincent01 Post time: 2013-3-18 19:10
Studying English will help Chinese students learn more about the world and vice versa.  China shou ...

English is fine for Chinese students who want to study English.
I don't think it should be a prerequisite though.
People who are gifted in subjects such as science and engineering aren't necessarily interested
in learning a foreign language. It makes no more sense than requiring an arts or political student
to take calculus.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 11:36:52 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-3-19 11:21
English is fine for Chinese students who want to study English.
I don't think it should be a prere ...

The arguments in such instances are never about facts but about nationalism.

nationalism beats pragmatism when the party feels feels weak and insecure.

What is a well balanced educaion?

What is education if you think learning English means less time to practise maths and Physics?

Well....you can practise a bit more maths.....can you be more useful?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 11:57:04 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-3-19 11:01
This only makes sense. Imagine the negative impact on engineering schools in the USA if passing
a Ma ...

Passing a proficiency test in English will be challenging for most Americans..... never mind a foreign language.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 11:59:34 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-3-18 19:36
The arguments in such instances are never about facts but about nationalism.

nationalism beats pr ...

You have a tough time with reality. In practically all US universities, no foreign language is required to
enter science or engineering programs. Using your broken logic the USA would be the more nationalistic
than China since it hasn't and doesn't require a foreign language to enter most programs.
And to follow up ignorance with an even more ignorant statement you tie language requirements
in universities to a nations sense of security.
By the way, most English speakers call it 'math', not 'maths'.
Just in case you don't want to be laughed at in the real world any more than you already are.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 12:01:05 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-3-18 19:57
Passing a proficiency test in English will be challenging for most Americans..... never mind a for ...

It would be even harder for the western propagandists in this forum who claim to be experts in English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-19 12:04:54 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-3-19 12:01
It would be even harder for the western propagandists in this forum who claim to be experts in Eng ...

No prize for guessing who you are referring to....
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.