Views: 7062|Replies: 26

China to keep genetically-modified soybean imports [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-7 19:24:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sansukong at 2013-3-7 18:30

China to keep genetically-modified soybean imports                                                                                                                                             

(Xinhua)
Updated: 2013-03-07 13:53

BEIJING - China will continue to import genetically-modified soybeans in order to cater to domestic demand, a senior agricultural official said Thursday.

"It is inevitable for China to import some GM farm produce for quite a long period of time," said Chen Xiwen, deputy director of the office of the leading group on rural work under the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China.

China imported 58.38 million tons of GM soybeans last year, mostly from the United States, Brazil and Argentina, because the country produces about 14 million tons of soybeans while the demand exceeds 70 million tons annually.

Soybeans account for most of China's imported GM food, Chen said in response to a question about the future of GM food in China, at a press conference held on the sidelines of the annual parliamentary session.

He said the GM crops China plants on a large scale are mostly cotton instead of food.

Responding to growing concerns among the Chinese public over the safety of GM food, Chen said the reality is that no sufficient evidence so far can prove whether or not GM food is harmful to humans.

"The safety of new crops is proved always in the process of continuous application," he said.

Chen said imported soybeans are mainly used to extract cooking oil, which does not contain transgenic material. But after the oil extraction the soybeans are used as animal feed which does contain transgenic material.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-7 20:33:24 |Display all floors
I know what is the problem

Rats eat too much of China' s produce.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-8 01:07:41 |Display all floors
But after the oil extraction the soybeans are used as animal feed which does contain transgenic material.

What would be the side-effects of those who consume the meat of those animals that were fed with those GM soyabeans animal feed which still contain transgenic substances?
Translate .........

会有什么副作用
那些人谁吃的肉,那些动物,
哪喂以,的那些, 转基因大豆,
哪仍然含有转基因 物质?

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-8 01:10:36 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2013-3-8 01:07
What would be the side-effects of those who consume the meat of those animals that were fed with th ...

You think they will turn every Chinese into a rat?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-8 01:13:52 |Display all floors
Put it this way

What is good enough for Americans with $ 50000 income is good enough for Chinese with $ 8000 income.......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-8 07:09:06 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2013-3-8 01:13
Put it this way

What is good enough for Americans with $ 50000 income is good enough for Chinese wi ...

That is a stupid statement because the Americans can do whatever they want unless there is a law against it. The only time there will be a law against GM foods, will be when they are proven to have damaged people's health. By then the damage has already been done and will be irreparable.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-8 08:35:07 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-3-8 07:09
That is a stupid statement because the Americans can do whatever they want unless there is a law a ...

Put it this way......

Chinese have more confidence in US FDA than they have in their own tai ted milk........

No one has found any chemical or biological reason to suggest GM food is a health threat.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.