Author: waiboshu

Can cartoons teach my kid English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-3-11 11:04:02 |Display all floors
It will help a lot, and while she will probably be mostly just watching the action, the words will sink in if she watches it more than once. We all learn language by using and listening to it, the more you hear, even if you aren't focused on it entirely, the better it is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 19:08:31 |Display all floors
boconn13 Post time: 2013-3-10 08:21
I think it is OK.  I myself like to watch Xi Yang Yang.  I also think comic books are good.  I recom ...

Charlie Brown is obviously a racist.
You want to teach segregation to a 2 year old kid?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-14 22:41:59 |Display all floors
You obviously do not know your history.  Charles Schulz was horribly criticised when Franklin desegregated the comics page.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-17 17:22:16 |Display all floors
Lots of studies lots of ugly comments, ... I apologize for their drama!
Can't believe the negative comments.   Normally, I choose to remain silent.

I have been a teacher for 40 years, and yes, Tv is a way of avoiding personal interaction with your child.  The Chinese culture doesn't need to increase their "TV screen time" and that specifically applies to China's young.  I have taught a 2.5 year old boy 100 words and the entire alphabet in 20 hours/one month.  I used software with the TV as my blackboard to promote the visual effects of colors, pictures, sounds, and if I could have involved the senses of taste and smell I would have easily been successful in less time.  Studies have substantiated that children from 2 to 6 learn language much more easily than children older than 6 years.  In fact, younger children don't see English as another language, especially if English is spoken by the parents in the home along with Chinese.  Those little ones learn by copying their parents and grandparents.  Some parents are afraid their children will NOT learn Chinese well, if English is pushed upon them when they are so young.  This is simply a fear that is not substantiated.  They will learn the sounds much better than if their parents wait for the Chinese English teachers to teach them Chinglish sounds.  I have found the problem is tragically reading and writing skills WITHOUT speaking skills.  A huge failing of the English Education system in China is that a vast majority of students study English for 15 years without speaking!  What a terrible waste of resources and study time!  I use software to build "muscle memory" via copying native speaker sounds... my subjects MUST speak and listen at native speaking speeds.  Their ears are too slow.  By the time a student translates "listening English" to Chinese.. and then back to "spoken English" ... the topic has changed.  Nothing is spoken by the aspiring student ... and the students NEVER speaks English to a classmate .... cultural?  ... probably.  When 2-6 year old children learn together in my experience, using software, the best teacher is very easily their classmates.  Children "Play" at speaking English with each other to be "cool" and smaller bothers and sisters are great copiers.  I only wish I could teach children as well as those small children.  If you "plug-your-child-into-a-TV" you are missing a wonderful chance to learn English yourself with the most important person in your life.  Remember, someday those little people are going to grow up and have YOUR grandchildren ... GRANDCHILDREN WHO SPEAK ENGLISH!  As a grandparent, you are going to be in the dark about what is being said.  It will then be too late.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-3-18 14:24:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-3-18 14:28

only watching will not help

kids at that age can learn of course, but it requires interaction, not only passive receiving

if You watch with Her, and reply the worlds etc.  - it is better (You give kid an example what to do)

that goes for any language and any "skill" offered by TV programs (like numbers, colors, etc. in the programs adressed to small kids)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 17:59:22 |Display all floors
Merln Post time: 2013-3-17 17:22
Lots of studies lots of ugly comments, ... I apologize for their drama!
Can't believe the negative c ...

His family is Chinese. So, why would his Chinese grandchildren be speaking English to him?

Also, there's nothing cultural about not speaking to classmates in the language taught in their foreign language class. It happens all around the world. English kids don't speak French between each other outside of French class. Canadian students don't speak Spanish to each other outside of Spanish class either.
Have you ever heard the horrible noises that American students make when trying to speak Spanish? You would be mentioning the huge failures of Western education too.

They all don't get enough exposure and opportunities to practice their elocution and listening skills. Not just in China. No student should learn your way of reasoning, but your method of teaching should be applied everywhere in the world to foreign language students. Not enough schools do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-18 18:25:30 From mobile |Display all floors
waiboshu Posted On 2013-3-7 10:11:31
My kid is 2.5 years old. She love to see the cartoon,  Maisy mouse . I am not sure wheter you guys k...

just listen,that's all
"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.