Author: milkcat_0328

how to translate 红楼梦? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-21 09:42:19 |Display all floors

ghostzorro,who tell you that rubbish translation for it ?

pls read that book before you make sure!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 10:34:46 |Display all floors

poor Chinese

You are so creative. Maybe everyone here are good at English, but it seems all of you have given up Chinese learning. You never knew there was another name for the book? Why didn't you check it in the library and make sure you are right before help anyone?

"Stone story"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 10:55:54 |Display all floors

I am sure I know it has a Chinese alternative which is named as石头记.

Look here, A Dream of  Red Masion is the fix translation for it .
eg. Bejing has many  names  in it 's history.
WIl you tranlate北京into蓟 Ji which was its earlist name in its history record. Most of foreigers would be confused if u did so.
What is whorehouse dream? Don't make a scene!

I don't need to go to library.I have owned one at hand since I was teen and at the same time it will watse your time to search it in the library. Why don't you search it by goolge ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 11:21:29 |Display all floors

two versions

it has two famous English versions. One is translated by  yang xianyi and his wife, the other is by David Hawkes. yang's title is A Dream of Red Mansion, while Hawkes' is The Story of The Stone

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 11:34:33 |Display all floors

red mansion

20040421113433b304.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 21:03:23 |Display all floors

红楼梦

the dream of red chamber

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 21:07:08 |Display all floors

FYR

红楼梦的英语译名不外乎两个:A Dream of Red Mansions  和 The Dream of the Red Chamber

至于The Story of the Stone,则是《石头记》的译名,不能等同。

A Dream of Red Mansions 是杨宪益、戴乃迭夫妇的《红楼梦》英译本,The Story of the Stone是原牛津大学教授霍克思(David Hawkes)的《石头记》英译本。

《石头记》是《红楼梦》的旧名,霍克思把书名译为The Story of the Stone,并未使用一直沿用的The Dream of the Red Chamber, 是因为手抄本一向用《石头记》为书名。

1973年企鹅版《石头记》英译本书名是:The Story of the Stone,Also Known as The Dream of the Red Chamber。

A Dream of Red Mansions为中国大陆内地普遍使用,而The Dream of the Red Chamber 则为港澳台地区普遍接受,也多为海外人士认知。

早在上世纪40年代周璇主演的电影《红楼梦》,香港李翰祥导演、林青霞、张艾嘉主演的电影《金玉良缘红楼梦》,香港汪明荃、周润发主演的电视剧《红楼梦》,甚至现在的电脑游戏《红楼续梦》,都使用The Dream of the Red Chamber。而中央电视台1983年版36集电视剧《红楼梦》,则使用A Dream of Red Mansions 这个译名。

因此,我们使用红楼梦的英语译名时,要分清具体所指。

以上解释希望对全面理解和正确使用此译名能有所帮助。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.