Author: expatter

Is Awareness a Cultural Thing ……. ?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-2-12 00:30:41 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2013-2-11 18:17
Its educational.  I was horrified by what i saw in central Beijing, they drive too fast in built-up  ...

Not educational

Its necessity.

Necessity is the mother of consciousness and shuts off alternative awareness that are not viable or unavailable.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-12 02:39:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-12 02:27
Cultural conditioning. Peer pressure guides peolple into adopting identical behaviours even if their ...

But the same pedestrians will likely follow the trafic lights in London.................

Its kiasu.....scared of losing.

If they dont cross and others crossed safely.....they have lost out to their peers and fellows  crossers.

In order not be losers, they want to cross even when the light is red for them.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-12 03:22:33 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-2-11 21:54
Oh  ..... !

I suppose there is that to it when destiny or fate might interpret your mortality  ...

Chinese must be different to other easterners....
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-12 03:37:17 |Display all floors
Lack of awareness, total disregard for safety, and ignorance go hand in hand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-12 08:21:42 |Display all floors
This is the reality and something you have to learn to live in China. Otherwise you stand out as a noble bourgeoisie and certainly a good target of thieves.

The Chinese awareness is obviously not as "Western" as ours, but I respect the fact that they manage to survive in the terrible mess everyone have created on the road.

I remember the time when I couldn't look out of the car because every single "object" on the road was ready to crash into each other at any time.  But nothing happened at last, they find their way perfectly through the traffic battlefield and most of the time untouched.

The awareness comes from education, but apparently not that kind of education at school, it will have to be the education in their family and from the society.

So I guess maybe after at least 20% of the Chinese population went studying overseas and came back to China, things may change a little bit, otherwise, be a Chinese and learn Asian crossing, and remember to follow the big chunk of the crowd.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. --JKR

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-12 10:16:23 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-2-12 03:22
Chinese must be different to other easterners....

Certainly Japanese are reared with a high sense of numerous societal rules and one may suppose that awareness may come form conditioning to societies expectations  .......  

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-12 10:19:52 |Display all floors
GryffindorBoy Post time: 2013-2-12 08:21
This is the reality and something you have to learn to live in China. Otherwise you stand out as a n ...

There is also an allowance for this in the driving rules in that the car driver is always in the wrong. If you hit anyone or anything then it is your fault.

When I lived in Nanjing and drove there one had to be very careful that a poor person would not throw themselves under your car in order to claim compensation .........   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.