Author: TheHermit

What is it that sparks off civilization?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-2-1 21:08:56 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-2-1 15:33
I think it would have been a good idea in the OP to 'frame' the question and define the idea of 'c ...

You do have a point... on the other hand that would have narrowed down the scope of the discussion as each of us has a different idea of what civilization is.

For example would you say that modern human beings are civilized  ........  ?   

IMHO NO.... not yet, but there was a time in the last century, when parts of the world were moving towards becoming civilized.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-2-1 21:15:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-1 20:47
No nomads maintain peace for CENTURIES.

Do you sat all know how the Mongolians came to become a  ...

You make it sound as if supposedly civilized cultures never went to war against their adjacent rivals  ......

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-1 22:06:00 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-1 19:15
Hmmm...

Civilisations spring up where different cultures learn to coexist. That way, a "higher" a ...

No... multiculturalism can only exist under strict dictatorship, and I do not believe for a moment that you are advocating that.

In a democracy one tribe will always take advantage and subdue the others..... look at history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-2 00:46:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-1 18:54
I don't think so.

The provision of food has always been a prime concern for rulers as a swelling  ...

Knowledge was power and jealously guarded by some.... they still do...

It was the advent of the Hellenistic period which made knowledge readily available, much to the dismay of the charlatans who rebelled against it. Similarly in the east the spread of Confucianism allowed education to shift from being the preserve of the aristocracy to those selected on ability and merit.

The idea of the God-king dates back to prehistory. People will use any device to deceive and a reign sanctioned by some omnipotent deity, is the ultimate subterfuge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-2 01:01:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-1 19:19
Great answer but slightly off reality.

There have in fact been many women who turned out to be bl ...

A frivolous reply... to a frivolous post.

But I find your choice of powerful women interesting.... why not mention the recent ones.... like Indira Ghandi, Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, all three wielding ruthless power, that could be the envy of any "strong man"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-2 01:18:27 |Display all floors
attilaattila Post time: 2013-2-1 19:57
No their population figures remained stable because they did not have agriculture , so they needed a ...

There are many reasons why their population remained stable. Tribal feuds and remoteness making access to medicine difficult always took their toll. Many die unnecessarily from curable or preventable ailments, because  access to medicine is difficult.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-2 03:30:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-2-2 02:24
May I quote Dr. Expatter, please: "lease, if you cite some authoritative source, add the author,  ...

Absolute BS!!!!!

Tito's Yugoslavia, Hussein's Iraq, Assad's Syria etc......All successfully multicultural...... I rest my case.

Haven't you read about the sterilization of the Ethiopian Jews scandal in Israel? If that does not represent racial and cultural intolerance.... I don't know what does.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.