Views: 5673|Replies: 18

Hollywood propaganda is booming this year! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-26 11:17:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-1-26 11:21

It is quite a surprise to me how obvious the American propaganda is this year, but not only is it obvious but it has received quite a lot of awards and oscar nominations.
I'll give the two prime examples of this, even though i suspect that there are more...

Argo.jpg

Storyline

In 1979, the American embassy in Iran was invaded by Iranian revolutionaries and several Americans are taken hostage. However, six manage to escape to the official residence of the Canadian Ambassador and the CIA is eventually ordered to get them out of the country. With few options, exfiltration expert Tony Mendez devises a daring plan: to create a phony Canadian film project looking to shoot in Iran and smuggle the Americans out as its production crew. With the help of some trusted Hollywood contacts, Mendez creates the ruse and proceeds to Iran as its associate producer. However, time is running out with the Iranian security forces closing in on the truth while both his charges and the White House have grave doubts about the operation themselves.

Argo has received many awards and has 7 oscar nominations.

DARK-THIRTY-5.jpg

Storyline

Maya is a CIA operative whose first experience is in the interrogation of prisoners following the Al Qaeda attacks against the U.S. on the 11th September 2001. She is a reluctant participant in extreme duress applied to the detainees, but believes that the truth may only be obtained through such tactics. For several years, she is single-minded in her pursuit of leads to uncover the whereabouts of Al Qaeda's leader, Osama Bin Laden. Finally, in 2011, it appears that her work will pay off, and a U.S. Navy SEAL team is sent to kill or capture Bin Laden. But only Maya is confident Bin Laden is where she says he is.

Zero dark thirty has received many awards and currently has 5 oscar nominations.

What's different from other recent years is that these propaganda movies are obviously supported A LOT by the hollywood industry, if they didn't have much support they wouldn't be nominated for an oscar and wouldn't receive so many secondary American awards. This is a bit weird because it has been quite some time sine the last time that propaganda was so strong in the film industry of the U.S., and one has to wonder if the effects that the McCarthyism purges had on hollywood are still around today and just how much of hollywood is simply propaganda machinery for the U.S.

In my examples: Argo portrayes the Iranians as some blood-thirsty savages - always in sharp contrast to the valiant smart U.S. heroes. Zero dark thirty glorifies both the savage interogation techniques of the U.S. and the death of Osama Bin Laden.

What do you think?

p.s. All the info are from imdb.
p.s.2 No, China is no better, the anti-Japanese propaganda films are MANY - China simply doesn't have much influence in the world yet to do much damage since most people ignore almost completely Chinese movies and China hasn't established a movie industry or a parallel self-award system like: the Oscars.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 12:00:02 |Display all floors
Evil

Hollywood is Zionist and bloodthirsty and evil.All top 8 studios are owned by the Chosen People.9/11 was an inside job.The bin Patsy "killing" episode was low Orwellian theatre.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-26 12:38:44 |Display all floors
I'm not sure what you expect from Argo. How can you possibly portray the Iranians as good? They violated the centuries old rule of diplomatic immunity and the confinement conditions they kept the hostages in were no better than Guantanamo bay. If any country in the world made a movie of similiar circumstances it would be no different and how they got some of the hostages out was smart and daring. I don't know much about Zero Dark thirty but if it glorifies the interrogation techniques then its certainly propaganda.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 02:42:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-1-27 02:43
Prometheus2 Post time: 2013-1-26 12:38
I'm not sure what you expect from Argo. How can you possibly portray the Iranians as good? They viol ...

Well, maybe they couldn't portray them as good but they could portray the reality rather than the semi-reality with pompus "we rule" tones around it. Also, the timing itself (releasing such a film now) makes it propaganda - every nation has a few skeletons up their closets simply when it suits the U.S. best those skeletons are revealed (or underlined / made more visible) by hollywood and etc propaganda machinery.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 04:04:41 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-27 02:42
Well, maybe they couldn't portray them as good but they could portray the reality rather than the s ...

ery vocZero Dark seems to have a pretty vague case in the first place.
The FBI has claimed repeatiadly and also vocally, that the only caluable intel gathered in gitmo
was gathered back when they ran the investigations, and according to the FBI claims,
the start of the cia interrogations not only promted their withdrawl,
but also saw very little useful results as result.
And for the Obama administration that opposed the iprogramm,
it's more a liability.
So a movie gloryfying it is not in their interest very much.

And propaganda in the style you describe is not very effective either in the first place.
especially in relatively open societies.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 04:09:50 |Display all floors
No one forces anyone to go to the movies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-27 06:32:25 |Display all floors
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-26 19:42
Well, maybe they couldn't portray them as good but they could portray the reality rather than the s ...

I would rather call it political satire. At the expense of Iran and to the amusement of Americans (and other like-minded peoples) perhaps, but can't call it propaganda unless you can directly tie it to directives from the White House/Congress, which it may well have had, but I very much doubt it. Can't blame people for wanting to make satire against something as tragically ridiculous as the Iranian regime. The day that Americans stop producing satire against its own regimes I'll worry.
Make the latte taste like fiiissshh!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.