Author: NE_Tigress

Is today's Iraq better than it was in Saddam's days?   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-1-23 00:31:06 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2013-1-23 00:28
Don't scare me.

Good night again.

Maybe the Americans wanted it this way, the flames of sectarian conflict rising higher.
The Yanks are paying the price of their folly but that is beside the point.

Do I hear whispers from the shadows to the effect that honour is for fools?

Saddam Hussein of brave Tikrit did not think so when he went to the gallows, his many sins washed away by his calmness and courage in the face of death,defiant to the last.

If he had cringed or even slightly faltered that would have been the end of his story. But he is already a hero for his people, the Sunni half, or near half, of Iraq.

Two hundred years from now, Saddam's cruelty and mistakes will be forgotten.
The legend of his bravery will survive !!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 00:41:00 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2013-1-22 23:55
Neither scenario sounds good.

It's a pity that it seems none of the forum members here is from ...

Things are never simple.... A couple of years after the invasion I spoke to some Iraqi Kurds, who obviously did not like Saddam, but expressed regret at the toppling of the Baath party. They always hoped for independence but were realists and knew they were unlikely to get their wishes democracy or not.

The party as explained to me had many followers from all sections of the population....
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 00:46:21 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2013-1-23 00:18
Thank you guys for your input.

My computer sucks now because my cat stepped on the keyboard just n ...

Good night...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-23 00:47:37 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2013-1-23 00:27
I think you are mistaken.... under Saddam all men, up to a certain age, were in the militia and we ...

I think we are on the same wavelength as I refer to pre-sanctions and war ........

Naturally the army guys even conscripts (read government guys) were armed up for the conflict ......

Pre-sanctions and war as I understand it society in Iraq was quite progressive and safe  .........

They fought an 8 year war against Iran supplied by the US and it was only when Saddam became (according to the US) a loose canon he was (oh my Gosh!) suddenly a murder .........          

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 00:54:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TheHermit at 2013-1-23 01:13
dostoevskydr Post time: 2013-1-23 00:31
Maybe the Americans wanted it this way, the flames of sectarian conflict rising higher.
The Yanks ...

Yes bad as he was.... his courage and defiance were exemplary...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-1-23 00:59:07 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-1-23 00:47
I think we are on the same wavelength as I refer to pre-sanctions and war ........

Naturally the  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-23 00:59:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.