Views: 5585|Replies: 4

李安:拍《少年派》是对信仰的考验 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-22 15:31:15 |Display all floors

周四上午,李安凭借其执导的影片《少年派的奇幻漂流》(Life of Pi)获第85届奥斯卡最佳导演奖提名。这部3D史诗大片根据作家扬•马特尔(Yann Martel)的小说改编。现年58岁的李安在2006年曾因执导《断背山》(Brokeback Mountain)而获当年的最佳导演奖。但对李安来说,《少年派的奇幻漂流》则是一部难度大得多的电影。

Ang Lee received an Academy Award nomination this morning for directing 'Life of Pi,' the 3-D epic based on Yann Martel's novel. Lee, 58, won in this category in 2006 for directing 'Brokeback Mountain,' but to him, 'Life of Pi' was a much more difficult film.

李安在接受《华尔街日报》采访时说,执导《断背山》的过程相当轻松。虽然拍摄过程中他们待在高山上,但对李安来说,《断背山》的拍摄过程远不如《少年派》来得费劲。他说,《断背山》实际上比较容易拍摄,那部电影从头到尾都不算难。

Directing 'Brokeback Mountain' 'was quite breezy,' the director said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. Even though they were high up in the mountains, it wasn't an uphill climb the way 'Life of Pi' was to Lee. 'It was actually easy to make, from beginning to end that movie was all good.'

但《少年派》则相反。李安花了四年时间拍摄这部影片。他在台湾的一个旧机场搭建了一个水箱,并聘请了3,000人参与电影制作。李安说,这是我执导的最难的一部影片,并顺势提到了影片故事情节的主题之一,说这就像对信仰的考验。

'Life of Pi,' however, was the opposite. It took Lee four years to make, and he built a water tank in a former airport in Taiwan and hired 3000 people to work on the film. 'It was the hardest movie I made,' he said and, tapping into one of the themes of the film's storyline, said 'it was like a test of faith.'

周四上午《少年派》获得了11项奥斯卡提名,除了最佳导演之外还包括最佳影片和最佳摄影等。在提名公布之后不久,李安接受《华尔街日报》的采访,谈论《少年派》以及他可能执导的下一部影片《埃及艳后》(Cleopatra)。

'Life of Pi' received 11 nominations Thursday morning, including Best Picture and Best Cinematography, in addition to Best Director. Lee talked with the Journal shortly after the announcement to discuss 'Life of Pi,' and the possibility of directing 'Cleopatra' next.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-22 15:31:36 |Display all floors
《华尔街日报》:恭喜你获得奥斯卡提名。

Congratulations on your nominations.

李安:今天对我们来说是个好日子,谢谢。

It's a good morning for us. Thank you.

《华尔街日报》:你是如何知道这一消息的?

How did you hear the news?

李安:我是被助手叫醒的。那会儿还很早,我想这可能是好消息,因为当时我正在做梦。

I was awakened by my assistant. That early, I thought it might be good, because I was having a dream actually.

《华尔街日报》:你梦到自己获得提名了吗?

Were you dreaming you were nominated?

李安:不,不,是别的事情,我不记得了,然后我就醒了(笑)。我周三晚上刚到洛杉矶,以便参加周四晚上的“广播影评人奖”(Broadcasting Critics Award)颁奖典礼。所以我住在酒店里。

No, no, about something else. I don't remember, then I woke up [laughs]. I just arrived in L.A. last night for the Broadcasting Critics Award tonight. So I'm in a hotel.

《华尔街日报》:你曾因执导《断背山》获最佳导演奖。执导《少年派》和执导《断背山》有何不同?

You won the Best Director Oscar for 'Brokeback Mountain.' How did directing 'Life of Pi' differ from that experience?

李安:拍摄《少年派》的整个过程都很费劲。我为此付出四年时间,这是我拍摄过最困难的一部影片。《断背山》可能是最容易的(笑),或至少比这部容易。这部影片真的很难拍摄,有3,000人参与其中。这就像是对信仰的考验。整个过程就像在爬山。种种细节都不容易,将一部带哲学思考的作品变成一部造价高昂的电影给了我很大压力。我将这部电影带到我的故乡台湾,搭建了一个新的影棚拍摄此片。台湾是我能想到的惟一一个能拍好这部影片的地方。出演主角的男孩儿,老虎,3D,水,这些都很不容易。如何把这些元素组合到一起?在商业上可行吗?

This movie ['Life of Pi'] seemed like everything was uphill. I worked for four years. It was the hardest movie I made. 'Brokeback' is probably the easiest [laughs], or easier at least. This was really hard and 3000 people worked on it. It's like a test of faith. Everything was uphill. Difficult elements, turning a philosophical book into an expensive movie. A lot of pressure. I carried it [to] the only place I think I could do it, my hometown, Taiwan, to create a new facility to make it. First acting boy, tiger, 3-D, water. It was all difficult. And how to put it together? To be viable commercially?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-22 15:32:57 |Display all floors
李安:两个月的拍摄时间,整个过程非常顺利。剧本写得很好,演员也很优秀。你可以做最简单的事情,结果发现它很难。但《断背山》就这样拍了下来。一切都很顺利。从第一幕拍摄开始,大家都融入了这部影片(笑)。事实上,在《绿巨人浩克》(The Hulk)之后我认为我可以拍摄一些简单的影片。我认为《断背山》是一部纯艺术电影,但当它进入购物中心后,我开始感到担心。

Two months shooting, and everything went well. The script was great, the actors brilliant. You can do the easiest thing but it turns out to be difficult. But that one just happened. Everything went smoothly. From the first cut on, people just melted over that movie [laughs]. Actually, after 'The Hulk' I thought I would do something easier, and I thought that was going to be strictly arthouse. When it hit the shopping mall, I got worried.

《华尔街日报》:你需要专门针对《少年派》学习或完善哪些东西?

What did you have to learn or perfect specifically for 'Life of Pi'?

李安:印度,宗教。影片讲的是上帝,不一定和宗教有关,但我还是需要有所研究。还有水。做了很多有关怎样处理水的研究,不过观众花钱来看的就是这个。不是先学习研究,然后再拍电影,而是在学习的过程中拍片。所以实际上这一部分是最困难的。3D对我是一种新事物,一种新的电影语言,对所有人都是新的。没有谁真正能够给你提建议。我们就是这样一路摸索。

Well, India. Religion. It's about God, not necessarily religion, but I still needed to get into it somewhat. Water. A lot of study about how to do water, except you're paying for it. You're not studying and doing research, and then the work. You're doing the work while you're learning. So, that actually turned out to be the most painful part. 3-D is new to me. It's a new cinematic language, new to everyone. Nobody can really give you advice. So, we were groping along the way.

《华尔街日报》:你怎样研究宗教?通过文本吗?

How did you study religion? Through texts?

李安:是的,文本。我不像派那样信仰各种宗教(笑)。我跟别人交流,跟有宗教信仰的人交流。特别是印度教我不熟悉,所以必须深入,必须去庙宇参观。

Yeah, texts. I’m not like Pi, practicing all the religions [laughs]. I talked to people, to the faithful. Particularly India, the Hindus I’m not familiar with, so I had to get into it. Visiting temples.

《华尔街日报》:我估计影片中的那只孟加拉虎里查德•帕克(Richard Parker)说不定会获得提名。

I half-expected Richard Parker, the Bengal tiger, to get a nomination.

李安:(笑)

[Laughs]

《华尔街日报》:它是不是最富挑战的方面之一?

Was that one of the most challenging aspects?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-22 15:33:53 |Display all floors
李安:是的,不仅要让老虎显得真实,还要让它的举止像是一只老虎。这花了很多功夫。我们做视觉特效的一帮人真的是做了一些开创性的工作。

Yeah, to have the tiger not only be realistic but to behave like a tiger. That took a lot of work. Our visual effect guys really did some groundbreaking work.

《华尔街日报》:你们还在台中附近的一个废弃的机场建了一座水池。

You also built a water tank at a former airport near Taichung.

李安:我想模拟开阔的海洋,想对它有所掌控。影片中很大一部分都是在海上,我想让水成为一个角色。这是一部没有汤姆•汉克斯(Tom Hanks)的漂流片,所以你一定程度上得通过视觉来抓住观众(笑)。必须让水说话,必须实现某种控制。如果我跑到真正的海上,或者按常规办法,只表现出海浪,让它从墙上反弹回来、起起落落,那样根本就没有效果。所以我必须要创造出某种新的东西。

I wanted to simulate the open ocean. I wanted to control it somehow. A big part of the movie is out on the ocean, and I wanted the water to be a character. It's an adrift movie without Tom Hanks, so you gotta visually grab them somehow [laughs]. The water has to speak. I have to have some kind of control. If I go out to the real ocean or the conventional way, of just showing the wave and it bounced back from the wall and go up and down, up and down, it just wouldn't work. So I had to create something new.

《华尔街日报》:你对《少年派》最感自豪的是什么?

What are you most proud of with 'Life of Pi?'

李安:跟所有事情一样,是某种相当抽象的东西。仅仅是人们姑且一试的机会,不管是电影人还是福克斯公司,就已经够了。甚至在拍摄的过程中,我也会想,天哪,我们在做什么?我觉得这一方面是最特别的。

It's something quite abstract, like everything. Just the sheer chance that people took a leap of faith on this one, whether the filmmakers or Fox. Even when I was doing it I thought god, what are we doing? I think that part is most special.

《华尔街日报》:你是要执导《克利奥帕特拉》(Cleopatra)吗?

Are you going to direct 'Cleopatra'?

李安:我不知道。他们说要把剧本发给我。我想,好吧,没问题,我会看的。他们还没有把剧本发过来。这是一个非常吸引人的想法。

I don't know. They say they're going to send me the script. I think okay, good, I'll read it. They have not sent the script. It's a very attractive idea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-22 15:35:27 |Display all floors
《华尔街日报》:之前你跟安吉丽娜•朱莉(Angelina Jolie)有没有谈过合作的事?

Have you and Angelina Jolie ever discussed working together before?

李安:没有面对面谈过,但通过电子邮件交流过。

Not face to face but we exchanged emails a little bit.

《华尔街日报》:在老家台湾拍片是什么感觉?

How was it filming in your hometown, Taiwan?

李安:我生于屏东,母亲现在住在台南。我跟台湾重新建立了联系。自从离开之后,我从没花那么多时间在台湾工作、跟当地社会重新联系。从政府到所有人,他们都给了我莫大的帮助。

I was born in Pingtung. My mother is in Tainan. I reconnected to Taiwan. Since I left I had not spent that much time working, reconnecting to society. The help I got was just incredible, from government to just everybody in Taiwan.

《华尔街日报》:你还会在台湾拍片吗?

Will you film there again?

李安:会的,那是我的故乡。

Oh yeah, yeah. It's my hometown.

《华尔街日报》:你每一部片子都如此不同。有没有某种类型的影片,比如音乐片或传记片,是你想在将来拍摄的?

Each of your films is so different. Is there a type of film, like a musical or a biopic, you'd like to do in the future?

李安:其中的元素必须要能够抓住我。通常是元素先于题材抓住我,然后我再选择类型来契合主旨。我不会先列一个清单,我不是一个影迷式的电影人。

Well, the elements of a project have to grab me. Normally that grabs me before genre. Then I choose genre to fit the subject matter. I don't have a checklist. I'm not a movie buff type of filmmaker.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.