Views: 30914|Replies: 68

The alternative "China bashing" theory   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-16 01:51:46 |Display all floors
I wanted to provide an alternative theory on China bashing.

I think that one could say that people who work against China are China bashers, but who is working against China?

The first question is... "What is China?" or else: "what is a country?" I'd say that at the heart of any country is the country's people, and that everything else by far comes second.

So, when looking for the real China bashers we must look at who's working against the people of China.

In order for people to lead better lives there must be progress, and i don't mean only superficial economic progress but quality of life must change for the better. Problem with supposed "defendors of China" (for example: Expatter) is that they're essentialy against change because they have been taught to think that almost any criticism of anything related to China is bad. Offcourse what they're doing is wrong, they should sometimes help fight for change rather than almost always be fighting for conformity and conservatism.

As one great Greek philosopher once said: "All in good measure", too much change or too much conformity can never be good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-16 08:09:58 |Display all floors
A funny thread...
But not sure what it purports.
It keeps claiming one "island" with a capital "I" - "Island"; which island might that be? Hainan? It already is Chinese, and rather poor, compared to Guangdong from which it was divorced a decade ago.

Westerners lusting after Chinese sluts...ahem: women?
I am afraid, your own women are ljusting after us and our money and passports!
Why?
Poor Chinese culture!

Quoted from Seneca's post in 2004

He has been attacking China, Chinese people, Chinese culture. Isn't he a down right notorious China basher?
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-16 08:43:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2013-1-16 11:03
incarnationabc Post time: 2013-1-16 08:09
A funny thread...
It keeps claiming one "island" with a capital "I" - ...
Quoted from Seneca's post in 2004

He has been attacking China, Chinese people, Chinese culture. Isn't he a down right notorious China basher?

I'm not going to judge Seneca in this thread, i'm trying to make a very important point here. I can't judge anyone from a single post anyway*, and haven't seen too much of his other posts that would qualify as China bashing in my book.  That said, in that one post that you refered to from 8-9 years ago (!) it's true that he shouldn't have made such wide generalisations based on widely accepted (yet maybe untrue) stereotypes about Chinese women.

* Except offcourse for Expatter who should immediately apologise for a certain post he made a few days ago.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-16 10:35:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-1-16 10:41

I see Your point, but expatter is far not as "China basher" as many of users who claims to be Chinese.

Shown ultra-nationalism, racism, and similar "activities" even is performed as "defend of China" - may make in a fact be a bashing by showing this great, friendly and tolerant country to be seen by the perspective of such posts.
China is not ultra-nationalist and racist place. But threating those who act like that as a "ONLY TRUE AND REAL CHINESE" (as They claim to be) - may create very unpleasent image of the very pleasent place.

Maybe among those (mentioned above) "bashers" we can find more "agents" then among those who claims that there are few things that They don't like? {:soso_e113:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-16 11:16:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TheHermit at 2013-1-16 11:22
Eudaimonia Post time: 2013-1-16 08:43
I'm not going to judge Seneca in this thread, i'm trying to make a very important point here. I ca ...

Seneca is the chief China basher on this forum.

Hidden behind a veneer of people friendly rhetoric, lay his real aims of bashing the Chinese institutions and culture.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-16 16:18:39 |Display all floors
Bashing is good

Bashing is especially good if the victim is thin skinned and all.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-16 16:41:01 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2013-1-16 08:09
A funny thread...
It keeps claiming one "island" with a capital "I" - ...

Look at you.....

I think Seneca has a right to defend his wife against the sneering wolf eyes of yours and others in this forum whose manhood seemed to be compromised because she choose Seneca over the sneering wolves...........
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.