Views: 2077|Replies: 4

Beijing air pollution hazardous [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-12 18:38:52 |Display all floors
AIR pollution levels in China's notoriously dirty capital have hit dangerous levels, with cloudy skies blocking out visibility and warnings issued for people to remain indoors.                                                                                                                        Local authorities have warned the severe pollution is likely to continue until Monday.
The Beijing Municipal Environmental Monitoring Center has reported air-quality readings between 176 and 442 from its monitors throughout the greater Beijing area since Friday.
The monitors measure the level of air-borne PM 2.5 particulates, which are tiny particular matters considered the most harmful to health.
The air is considered good when the reading is at 50 or below but hazardous with a reading between 301 and 500, when people are warned to avoid outdoor physical activities.
Monitors in urban Beijing all reported readings above 300 on Friday, and the centre real-time readings showed Beijing remained heavily polluted on Saturday with readings as high as 478 at 3pm (local time).
                                                At the same time, monitors at the city's US Embassy recorded an off-the-chart air-quality reading of 699.
Readings are often different in different parts of the city and because the instruments used to measure the pollution levels are different.
According to rules issued by the city government in December, all outdoor sports activities are to stop and factories have to reduce their production capacity if Beijing's official air-quality reading goes over 500.
Beijing authorities are blaming a lack of wind and foggy conditions.
Several other cities, including Tianjin on the coast east of Beijing and southern China's Wuhan city have also reported severe pollution over the last several days.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world/beijing-air-pollution-hazardous/story-e6frfkui-1226552691005#ixzz2Hkxta4xw

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-12 20:14:02 |Display all floors
It should be remembered that it's not that many years since many western cities were polluted in the same way as Beijing. Los Angeles regularly has air pollution levels that are hazardous to health as does Tokyo, Mexico City and many others around the world.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-12 20:17:49 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2013-1-12 20:14
It should be remembered that it's not that many years since many western cities were polluted in the ...

I have never seen any pollution, I was raised in the country.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-12 20:22:50 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2013-1-12 20:17
I have never seen any pollution, I was raised in the country.

You're lucky then. Though I grew up in the countryside I have seen horrific pollution around the world and can still remember pea soupers in London and Sheffield caused by pollution. Not as bad as the ones in the 1950s and earlier though.

Last year in Perth we had two days of very poor air quality due to a temperature inversion and a massive burn off by the Department of Conservation and Land Management some 250km south of Perth. It was deemed so dangerous that people with chest infections or illness were advised to seal doors and windows and stay indoors.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-12 20:37:34 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2013-1-12 20:22
You're lucky then. Though I grew up in the countryside I have seen horrific pollution around the w ...

Worst pollution I have ever seen was when I traveled to third world countries. I was amazed how people could live the the rubbish.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.