Views: 50505|Replies: 208

Define China Bashing ……. ?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-9 16:41:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2013-1-9 16:46

What exactly is China Bashing  ……   ??

That was a very interesting point someone raised although the idea here is a quotidian one I wonder if we can actually define the idea ‘China Basher’….. ?

Especially if we add the idea, ‘that China Bashers care about where China can do better’ ……..

For example if for a simple exercise I wonder if it would help if that was given some kind of chronology and split up such as: Pre first-millennia (pre-1000 AD), Second millennia China (to 1800 AD), Modern History (1800-2000), and present history (2000-2013).

Therefore starting with the first designated period, Pre-first-millennia (pre-1000 AD), I wonder how calling this time of enlightenment and discovery in China could be castigated by some posters here as a time of violent wars and deaths in knowing the rest of the world was similar, but most importantly how does this show that a detractor actually cares about China? Can they go back and help change this?

Or is this just China Bashing …….   ?

Similarly, with the period from, Second millennia China (to1800 AD), for those that use this period to refer to China as ‘backward and un-Godly’, how does criticism of this part of history show that someone cares about China and again can they alter this or is that just part of a course that many countries run.

Surely demonizing this part of Chinese history cannot beclaimed as ‘caring about China’ but rather just blatant China Bashing  …….

Moving on to the next period, Modern History (1800-2000, which was a time of colonialism and revolution, this period was surely one of the most traumatic in the life of China with many factions fighting for control both from within and abroad. This period included the domination by the Eight Powers, the fall of the Qing, the Republic of China and the People’s Republic of China, and included in the latter part of that list would be the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

When posters refer back to these periods and talk about complicity and death and destruction then I would ask myself that same question again. How does this idea, ‘that China Bashers care about where China can do better’, change the past which has been designated to the history books now.

The Qing has gone, the Eight Powers have gone, the ROC withdrew to Taiwan and the revolution is over. Mao the leader of the PRC from 1949-1976 has gone as have the other characters who now only inhabit the twilight zone and the history books.  How does re-referencing the well-known past from this period show that someone ‘cares about where China can do better’?

Or is that just another excuse for the China Bashing  …….  ?

There are also other attempts to raise dead issues and one can only assume that these resurrections are for the ‘good of the People’ who never even come here in the first place  …….

I would say that discussing the ‘present history from 2000-2013 (a decade plus) is feasible for the idea ‘that China Bashers care about where China can do better’ as it applies very much to our ‘now’ and is a period which can contain the effects of the last years to those in the near future and should be a concern for the many. I would still add some constraints to those though given that China is not a Western country with hundreds of years of steady modern development, and therefore should not necessarily be directly compared to the West and their ideals, rather a better comparison would be a like country such as India.

Additionally, it should be remembered that prostitution, murder, homosexuality, poverty, people trafficking, natural disasters, etc, are not just in the domain that China might have, but are problems shared in the world of people and might be better discussed as such because this is a world issue  ……….

Then if one applied the label, ‘cares about where China can do better’, then this idea might fit and make ultimate sense as in ........

Do better compared to what’ ! …………  

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-9 17:11:26 |Display all floors
China needs to confront her problems one at a time and do it honestly, without lip service

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-9 17:13:42 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2013-1-9 17:11
China needs to confront her problems one at a time and do it honestly, without lip service

I thought that is what they had been doing for the last 20 years  ........    ?      

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-9 17:16:26 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2013-1-9 17:13
I thought that is what they had been doing for the last 20 years  ........    ?

They just create new problems to hide away.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-9 17:23:51 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2013-1-9 17:16
They just create new problems to hide away.

Oh  ........  !

Like what  .........   ?     

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-9 17:35:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-1-9 17:37

every country have "good times" and "bad times" in it's history

the same is in China

and many Chinese understand it.

now there is no must to claim that China have only "good sides" and "good times" - and the people who points out the problems are not "contrrevolutionists".

but some seems don't get it :)

while I think that for me China is probably one of the best places in the World, I see that there are still some "cons" :)
this is all about the balance between "pros" and "cons", and everyone have own measure.

____

yes, some people here thinks that I'm AGINST China... Why? I really have no idea.
maybe ultra-nationalist, maybe just trolls?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-9 17:47:06 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-1-9 17:35
every country have "good times" and "bad times" in it's history

the same is in China

I would certainly see China as 'pros' and 'cons' but there are those who do not come to point out any good about China or even its history .......

But only their ideal of how it should fit to the modern model that suits them ........

Even though China is still developing from an agrarian base to an industrial base  ........

Additionally, they feel that being 'raked over the coals regularly for the past' is good for China  ........

I personally feel that China has done a very good job in the last twenty years and the path forward seems very encouraging  ...........  

As to the latter part  ........   

Yes there are a few 'characters' here  ........  !?   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.