Author: expatter

European Colonialism and Genocide ………   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-24 18:50:55 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-24 19:07
You are right .........  !

But I was making the point that in school education we should all be a ...

Right on you're Expatter, never the less - will they ever side with you...!
Even the unholi Lama is saying openly that Tibetan Self-immolation is ok as long as it anti China and serves his doctrine...
with him nothing but Cannon fodder...

and a MERRY XMAS to you EXPATTER.
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-24 19:16:26 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2012-12-24 18:50
Right on you're Expatter, never the less - will they ever side with you...!
Even the unholi Lama  ...

Hey  ........   !

Great to hear from you  .......

Shen Dan Kuai le  ...........             {:soso_e177:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 19:36:50 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-24 18:04
Would you like to quote one school book where it demonstrates that Belgium killed 50% of the peo ...

I understand you dislike the West for whatever reasons (probably a combination of inferiority complex, nationalism and ideology). However, If you are truly sincere in trying to enlighten people about the dark parts of history, why focus on Europeans? They have probably made the best attempts at reconciling their past. While Australian school children learn about what happened to the aborigines most Chinese do not even now there was an aborigional population of Taiwan. There are dark areas of history all over the world and most countries never learn about them, unless for political reasons like the Nanjing massacre in China. This is clearly a political and ideological piece and you cannot pretend it isn't. The Europeans were the only ones who documented what happened. So while the atrocities commited against the Indians etc were documented by Europeans that often did care, the atrocities commited elsewhere were mostly never recorded. So don't think it was just the Europeans that used their power for wrong. They were just the most powerful and technologically advanced. If you want to be taken for more than just a West-basher, focus on everyone regarding history and not just the dark parts that suit your political and ideological agenda.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-24 19:42:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-12-24 19:28
... interestingly, it was an Englishman who tried to prove (in vain, luckily!) that the Chinese pr ...

Oh dear  ........   !

Careful here you will have Prometheus2 after you for trying to imply the past and the present have the same trend ........

Also, the part about the disease is only part of the background frame and just an incidental item within the piece  ......

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 19:43:30 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-24 19:36
I understand you dislike the West for whatever reasons (probably a combination of inferiority comp ...

Well to be fair, european colonialism caused the most damage in the world.

No one can compare to that.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 19:54:26 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-12-24 19:43
Well to be fair, european colonialism caused the most damage in the world.

No one can compare to  ...

Yeah I'm not denying that. Colonisation caused huge atrocities. But I think its niave of people like Expatter to think only Europeans used their power for wrong. Any other nation in the same position as the Europeans would have done exactly the same. Look what nations such as Japan did when they were exposed to the technology that gave Europeans their early power. When the Arab world was the most advanced look at the Imperialism shown by the Ottoman empire or the conquest by Islam. I agree with Expatter in that the dark parts of history should be told but by only focussing on Europe, when they are often the best at looking at past, shows this post is an attack.

Anyway, Colonisation however brutal, did create the globalised world of today. Wasn't it Mao that said the ends justify the means?
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 20:05:32 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-24 19:42
Oh dear  ........   !

I could have written a topic regarding the airbrushing of Chinese history and you would probably have reacted the same way. I think you have in the past actually.

ignora

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.