Author: expatter

European Colonialism and Genocide ………   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-24 16:45:27 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2012-12-24 16:26
So you say its Anglos

I believe I used the term 'Europeans' ........

Of course I am sure you will tell me if you think that is not true  ........   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 17:01:15 |Display all floors
The Europeans white men just evolved and industrialised quicker than anybody else.  Conquest was inevitable, the other races would most probably have done exactly the same.

There's no reason at all to believe that one race is more or less cruel than any other historically.  

If the world is as physicists say about 15 billion years old, the land belonged to NOBODY for billions of years.

So, did any land belong to anybody just because they got there first ?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-24 17:07:05 |Display all floors
Welsh_Windbag Post time: 2012-12-24 17:01
The Europeans white men just evolved and industrialised quicker than anybody else.  Conquest was ine ...

But are these supposed to be the civilized people's ..........

Delivering civilization and God  ........   ?

Allegedly half the population of the Congo were brutally killed .........

How can that be justified  ......   ?

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 17:13:24 |Display all floors
No one denies colonisation happened Expatter and it is taught in schools.
Its easy to condemn the actions with modern day morality and worldly knowledge brought about by globalisation (a result of European colonisation), but few people in the entire world knew better and just about everyone was rascist. If any other culture somehow became technologically advanced before the Europeans they would have done pretty much the same. Africa was a continent of warring tribes, Asia was ruled by Monarchs over peasants in backward feudal systems, the middle east was in dissaray after the fall of the Ottoman empire. Many people like to think the world was peaceful, and then the Europeans came. Completely wrong. Any powerful nation expanded, ruled over others. Chinese Empire, Mongol Empire, Ottoman Empire are just a few non- European examples.

"Future generations have the right to know about the dark past or these so-called modern and enlightened European countries are no better than any dictatorship or communist country that they vilify at will."

Stupidest comment I've seen from you. The actions of people hundreds of years in the past do not reflect the people of today. Should we call present day Germans Nazi's for the ancestors actions? Of course not. European countries are no less enlightened now because of their past. Thats an idiotic way to think.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 17:16:48 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-24 17:07
But are these supposed to be the civilized people's ..........

Delivering civilization and God  . ...

Im not trying to justify it, we're NOT civilised.  We're still warring and armed to the teeth.

Nobody trusts anybody else and the West are paranoid about the rise of China, NOW.

So whats new ?

Erm, nothin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 18:04:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-12-24 19:26
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-24 17:13
Its easy to condemn the ac ...

Would you like to quote one school book where it demonstrates that Belgium killed 50% of the people in the Congo by corvee labour, mutilation and murder.

You are being an apologist here and I am discussing the supposedly civilized nations of Europe and not Asia.

Its easy to condemn the actions with modern day morality and worldly knowledge ........................... blah, blah, blah .....

This part of the first article demonstrates quite easily that your apologist attitude did not exist back then:

Under terms of the General Act of the Berlin Conference, Leopold pledged to suppress the East African slave trade; promote humanitarian policies; guarantee free trade within the colony; impose no import duties for twenty years; and encourage philanthropic and scientific enterprises.[5]

Notice the nations involved in this agreement sought rights and good conditions for the Congolese ... !!!

Stupidest comment I've seen from you. The actions of people hundreds of years in the past do not reflect the people of today. Should we call present day Germans Nazi's for the ancestors actions? Of course not. European countries are no less enlightened now because of their past. Thats an idiotic way to think.

Notice how you cannot write a post without the accusation words ‘stupidest’ and ‘idiotic’ in them and seek to flame what is just an opinion and I hold your post in the light of someone who must be seriously retarded.

The actions of people in the past should still be of interest today if they have not already been ‘lobotomized’ and comes under a heading called ‘history’. To deny the right to discuss it is of one who is ‘other-abled’ in the extreme. Moreover, when I have tried to make a comment about history in the OP you have jumped like a complete idiotic fool to defend the people of the modern area.

If you read my OP it states it is hypocritical not to have the facts about the past in the history books, it does not seek to associate people in history to people of today.

If you are going to respond then please have the decency to get someone to go over the pragmatics for you first and save us all time with more childish rhetoric .........     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-24 18:07:12 |Display all floors
Welsh_Windbag Post time: 2012-12-24 17:16
Im not trying to justify it, we're NOT civilised.  We're still warring and armed to the teeth.

No ...

You are right .........  !

But I was making the point that in school education we should all be aware of what our nations have done and not just the good stuff  ............  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.