Views: 13132|Replies: 20

Visiting Beijing on Chinese new years   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-21 02:40:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2012-12-21 02:43

Hello,

I'm planning on going to Beijing for Chinese New Years, for ~11 days. I'll be arriving on the 9th of february at about 16:00 and leaving on the 21st. I don't have enough money to visit very much else in China, i'll probably visit Tianjin for one day.

Anyway, i have done A LOT of reasearch on Beijing but i still have many questions...

- Should i expect that it's going to be crowded in the tourist sights or is too much cold, the "family reunion" holidays and the migration going to keep most people away from beijing and most beijingers in their homes? I've read that the great wall is going to be empty but i've also read very different opinions on places like the forbidden city. My point is, should i visit the big sights (which can get too overcrowded) on the first OR the start of the second week of the spring festival?

- Chinese new years, what should i do on the 9th? How do the Beijingers do it? Are they around the house with the TV open on the CCTV show while they're talking, drinking etc with their families and then after the change of the year they go out to watch fireworks, and then they all seat to eat a bit after midnight ...and a little while after that the younger people maybe go out clubbing with friends and the older go to bed? Should i just buy some firecrackers / fireworks, watch the new years cctv show in my hotel and then simply go out after 00:00 and watch the fireworks while lighting some of my own? Should we make a reservation to go eat somewhere? ...but is there any point to doing something like that? Especially since i plan to not spend over 120-150 rmb per person on any one dinner and we're just two people?

- Temple fairs, which should i visit? ...and at what time? ...and the various performances that someone can expect to occure there what time are they going to be happening? I don't want sooo many people that i'll be stuck for ages in lines etc, and i'd like to see as many folk performances as possible. From what i'm reading the Dongyue temple fair sounds nice, and the re-enactment of the ceremony on Tiantan could be worth our time. Though i'm wondering if it would be best to visit Dongyue when there's not many people around, and if i will essentialy miss seeing Tiantan up close because of the performance closing half of the place off or/and if for some reason it will be too difficult to watch the ceremony and it's not going to be worth the hassle. Would it maybe be best if we visited some of these festivals on their last days?

- What should i be expecting to be closed during my visit? According to what i've read (based on what happened in previous years) tourist sights are going to be open, some restaurants might be closed, and most live venues are going to be closed. Does this mean that i should call before going to a restaurant? Should i expect some of the provincial government restaurants to be closed too or because they're state owned they're probably going to be open?

- Where should we go (mostly after dark) to simply walk around, people watch, maybe have a drink or a bite to eat? etc. I know about the Back lakes / Shichahai area, the hutongs (though i'm a bit confused about which are the ones that are worth a visit), and wangfujing. ...but what else is there?

- Where could i find Japanese products? I'm talking maybe manga in Japanese, drinks (for example: Umeshu), and random decorative stuff.

I know i'm putting way too much thinking into this but it's not every day that i get the chance to visit a country on the other side of the world.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-21 22:38:05 |Display all floors
Unless you are from a place where population size is close to China, do not attempt to make this trip at all. When China's population moves, it really moves big time. Unless you are some sort of American footballer or some big guy rugby player, be prepared for disasters that you be crushed to some orange pulps. Save your trip for non peak season like Mar-May. You won't regret it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-21 23:01:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Eudaimonia at 2012-12-21 23:02
foreignchinese Post time: 2012-12-21 22:38
Unless you are from a place where population size is close to China, do not attempt to make this tri ...

Hello, thanks for your reply, though i'm in doubt that you read very much past the tittle of the thread.

do not attempt to make this trip at all. When China's population moves, it really moves big time.

Why? I'm just going to be flying in Beijing and almost (Tianjin isn't much of a move) not going anywhere else in China, i don't understand what my problem is going to be. If you think that i'm going to have a problem please do explain what my problem is going to be.

Save your trip for non peak season like Mar-May. You won't regret it.

Can't, i've allready booked tickets etc.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 14:31:30 |Display all floors
I guess he meant there would be super crowded at this period of time in china, expecially for the transport. If you have booked plane for round trip then there is noing much to worry about. Choosing to visit china at this period of time, you must intend to experience the spring festival atmosphere in china, right? Being hilarious is part of it. lol,,,People always shopping in the market and prepareing all the food needed for spring festival eve dinner on that day, or staying at home enjoying family time. Nowadays, more and more chinese families prefer to book new year's eve dinner from restaurant than make dinner themselves.So you better make a reservation before going for dinner on that day. and usually its more expensive than ordinary times. and there is no such  thing as provincial government restaurants you mentioned.lol...btw, temple fairs are good places to go during spring festival holiday.
You better get advices from beijing local people,i am not from beijing anyway. Hope you will enjoy your trip!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:42:36 |Display all floors
chrysazeng Post time: 2012-12-22 14:31
I guess he meant there would be super crowded at this period of time in china, expecially for the tr ...

Hey!!! Thank you for your reply.

Choosing to visit china at this period of time, you must intend to experience the spring festival atmosphere in china, right?

Well, yes i do intend to experience the spring festival, but the actual reason why i chose to visit China in that particular period of time is that that's when my friend has lots of free time for me to visit her.

and there is no such  thing as provincial government restaurants you mentioned.

You're wrong, but that's ok. Sure those restaurants aren't on your tourist guidebooks but if you do your research well you'll find em and as i've said i've done A LOT of research.

You better get advices from beijing local people,i am not from beijing anyway. Hope you will enjoy your trip!

That's what i was hoping to achieve by writing about it in here. Lets home someone local comes along and answers my questions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 22:04:35 |Display all floors
"lots of time to visit her"
>her

DO HO HO HO

Spring Festival is a bad time to travel because that is when everyone is traveling. Everything is crowded and its hard to do anything in the sea of bodies. The temples aren't anything amazing and once you have seen one old building you have seen them all. Tianjin is a MUCH nicer city than Beijing.

I get the feeling that Beijing is just a place for gormless foreigners to play. It doesn't feel anything like the rest of the country (I don't know about Shanghai, haven't been). You should have visited 6 years ago and you could have had a real experience!

You wont find any manga or anime in English. It almost doesn't exist. If you can handle it being in Chinese then many bookstores have some stuff but usually only c r a p like One Piece or Naruto.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 22:07:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lnjiajia at 2012-12-22 22:09

Why you guys always think move to a strange country will encounter something special?
Chinese people will wave hands to welcome your guys><?
I have to on duty in spring festival  until 15th ,january.ortherwise I will inveted you guys have a dinner.
I love China and hometown

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.