Views: 3948|Replies: 4

A question concerning Malaysia and Christmas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-17 13:04:09 |Display all floors
Hey guys, I need your help.

Our company has just set up an office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and has hired four local people, all of them are of Chinese origin and can speak some Chinese.

Our boss just asked me to write an e-mail to wish them merry xmas and happy new year.

But, as I know Malaysia is largely a Muslim country.  Will I offend them if they happen to be muslims or buddhists?  Or is it better to tell the boss to forget it?

I'd like to have your ideas.

Thank you very much in advance.  {:soso_e181:} {:soso_e178:} {:soso_e163:}

NE_T

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-12-17 15:08:47 |Display all floors
I really doubt you would offend anyone but you can never be certain.
I was in Malaysia on three different occasions, once during the holidays. The hotel I stayed at had
a big Christmas tree in the lobby and Christmas decorations and cardboard santas all over the place.
In the restaurant there they played Christmas music until the second week of January.
I remember one of my fellow workers said he was going to go nuts if he had to listen to
'Happy Christmas' by John Lennon just one more time while eating his breakfast.
The hotel was in Seremban which is about 40 miles south of KL. The large metropolitan
areas are cool. People there told me the only places you have to worry are out in the sticks
or along the east coast towns.
KL is a very nice city. I liked being in Malaysia better than I liked being in Japan and WAY better
than being in the Philippines.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-17 16:06:09 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-12-17 15:08
I really doubt you would offend anyone but you can never be certain.
I was in Malaysia on three diff ...

Thank you very much for your information Robert. Sounds they like Christmas. I think I can write my email now!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 20:29:08 |Display all floors
you could add some explanation when you send your blessing in case they are muslims. Tell them this is a kind wishes to them for the holidays and upcoming new year.  

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-1-24 22:44:42 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.