Hong Kong today... You love it, hate it, or ...?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-14 14:50:09 |Display all floors
Hong Kong.

City, place...

Today.

What do You feel about it, and why?
Please share Your oppinions...

No personals here please, just opinions about the City (cities?).
Single choice vote, There are a total of 14 people participating in the poll
64.29% (9)
28.57% (4)
0.00% (0)
7.14% (1)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-12-14 15:08:44 |Display all floors
I traveled through to get to Shenzhen, very clean and beautiful city.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-14 15:18:21 |Display all floors
First I though, that it is New York of China, but no.
I like NY, and I like China, but somehow I don't like Hong Kong.

Some says that it is "busy city". Maybe... But the rush, terribly crowded and (irrationally?) expensive subway, and then hundreds of little details - all made bad impression on me.

I visited it "from dusk till down". No vampires :)

What I like - that it is multicultural City.
I decided to rent the room in Kowloon, by the Nathan Road, near the "Alley of stars".
The place was incredible - colourfull mob of people, small electronic shops just by the Indian and Muslim food vendors.
Microscopic room in the crowded mansion. I expected problems, but it was new, well equiped and very clean room - good for one or two nights. And that people around, from China, India, Pakistan and other Muslim countries...

It was the place, when I tasted real Indian food without seting my feet on the land of India! Incredible.

Then - the views on the Hong Kong Island... outstanding.

But the overall impression - no. This is not the city for me. I don't fit in there.
Alienated people, most of them in a hurry. I felt very special mentality... Something like "We are better * 100 times". Not just "We are Middle Kingdom" - like in China. I can not express it in more details. Maybe I'll post some pictures to explain my feelings.

For a start - mentioned time:

from dusk
p0.jpg

till down
p76.jpg

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-12-14 15:28:47 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-12-14 15:18
First I though, that it is New York of China, but no.
I like NY, and I like China, but somehow I don ...

I like the place

I have stayed there a number of times always tried a different hotel

I took all my family about 4 years ago they loved it, and took my Wife back after that also. But now I find it better to fly directly to GZ I wont go so often to HK

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-14 19:48:13 |Display all floors
from time to time i have to be there, to me it´s a welcome change of living in mainland CN, see and look the latest (crazy) fashion, enjoy buying things which are not available in mainland, talk to the HK-people reg. latest issues reg. relation HK with mainland.
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-14 22:29:12 |Display all floors
HK is just like favela (shanty housin district of brasil) of the east not on my fav to do list  {:soso_e113:}{:soso_e120:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-14 22:53:15 |Display all floors
WHY gentrify a former colony when you can have your own to admire with (it makes no sense)  {:soso_e113:}{:soso_e128:}{:soso_e120:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.