Author: waiboshu

Chinese kids are smareter, while western kids are more creative?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-27 05:52:56 |Display all floors
I think it is true, comparing my own education to my girlfriend's son's.

Chinese kids don't have a social life, in comparison. They study only the "important" subjects. Chinese, English, Math, etc. We have PE classes with lots of games, Art, Music, Home Economics, etc. We have a wider education, at the expense of a more thorough education in the things the government considers more important. Add to that the fact that Chinese kids are not done when they get out of school; they go home and do homework for 3 hours each night. On weekends, they take extra-curricular classes. These are more fun and less stressful than the weekday classes, but it is still more schooling. (my girlfriend's son takes Robotics, Calligraphy, and piano lessons on Saturday, and extra English on Friday nights)

Result? No social life, except brief time with schoolmates. No going to a friend's house to play video games for hours. No sports practice after school every day, or sports games on weekends. The entire focus of their childhood seems to be on education.

Later, they are successful, due to this education and a good work ethic. But the poor kids, they missed their childhood.

Even when I was going through school in the 80s and 90s, it was like this. The Chinese kids in American suburban schools could only play for an hour or so after school. After that, homework-homework-homework for their Advanced Placement classes their parents insist upon.

What is the use of this great education, if they are not happy?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-28 16:34:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Transhumanist.. at 2013-1-28 16:35

Creativity genes are found in Whites, even though Han have slightly higher median IQ score.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-28 16:47:28 |Display all floors
Transhumanist.. Post time: 2013-1-28 16:34
Creativity genes are found in Whites, even though Han have slightly higher median IQ score.

IS there a "creativity gene"????

name it - chromosome, and position on it, and what exactly it encodes...
otherwise - it is just a racist propaganda

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-28 16:49:44 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-1-28 16:47
IS there a "creativity gene"????

name it - chromosome, and position on it, and what exactly it e ...

My comment was for China and Israel, not you.  Thank you.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-1-28 16:52:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-1-28 16:53
Transhumanist.. Post time: 2013-1-28 16:49
My comment was for China and Israel, not you.  Thank you.

It was post on public forum, and it that doesn't change my question:

if there is a "genes" - name it scientifically, otherwise it is just a racist post

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-1-28 18:48:36 |Display all floors
gooddog Post time: 2012-12-9 16:32
In the history of mankind, there is not a country in the planet that excelled like China did in last ...

CPC RULES !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-2-14 02:34:02 |Display all floors
Col Post time: 2012-12-4 17:07
I'm not sure that I completely agree with the statement that Westerners are more creative, but I hav ...

I wouldn't say that English any less complex than Chinese.  All languages are complex in different ways.

I don't think you can say a whole group of students from an entire civilization is more or less intelligent than those of another entire civilization. It's true that Chinese education generally stresses memorization at the expense of creative, synthetic processing of information, but I've seen clever creativity from students of all countries, just as I've seen mastery of hard data from students of all countries. I've met many Chinese students who were good at memorizing information for a test, only to suddenly discard that information once the gaokao or other exam had been completed.

The biggest flaw in our approach to this issue is a reliance generalizations.  I find that even I fall into that trap too many times.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.