Views: 3439|Replies: 14

Globalization has peaked? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-27 00:23:26 |Display all floors
China is preparing for reduced exports.
Two thirds of Americans think reduced globalization is good for their country.

Just a few years ago
The book , Flat world , pointing to  a globalised world , is a best seller.

Now, the pendulum is swinging the other side or is it?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-27 00:28:26 |Display all floors
Localization is the next big thing.

Local food, local shopping,

Small vs big

The return of mom and pop stores.

The fight for independence and taking power back from giant conglomerates.

Fight for life against climate change, go local.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-27 14:09:17 |Display all floors
Africa hasn't been anywhere near fully exploited yet.

To name one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-27 16:48:56 |Display all floors
Now, the pendulum is swinging the other side or is it?

I don't think so. People just want to have more jobs at home and see that there are many jobs created in China, so they want these jobs back in the US. What they don't want to see is that salaries are also much lower in China - and if they'd work for a salary that isn't six times higher than that of a Chinese worker, they'd also find a job in the US.

As people always prefer cheaper products over more expensive ones, I only see one way that globalization could be undone sustainably: by imposing legal restrictions against imports from developing countries. Indeed, such a policy might help American workers - but it would be a disaster for developing countries and stop mankind from advancing. There might even be a new wave of dangerous social experiments like those we saw during the cold war and millions might die.
And of course, it would hurt international regulations, bring companies huge losses and destroy lots of capital. So I don't think that neither democrats nor republicans would ever approve such a law.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-11-27 19:12:01 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-11-27 17:48
I don't think so. People just want to have more jobs at home and see that there are many jobs crea ...
  1. .....by imposing legal restrictions against imports from developing countries. Indeed, such a policy might help American workers - but it would be a disaster for developing countries and stop mankind from advancing.
Copy code
.....and a complete disaster for the developed world. Credibility, already at a low point, would be thrown over board and no pivot near to rotate.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-27 19:16:22 |Display all floors
.....and a complete disaster for the developed world. Credibility, already at a low point, would be thrown over board and no pivot near to rotate.  

One might argue here that the USA's, credibility has never been good - rule of law (or lack thereof) has always been an issue in the US and is now discussed once again, given the fact that companies have to employ whole departements full of lawyers to simply protect themselves from the law and comply with it, because it's got so unpredictable and complicated...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-28 11:09:27 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-11-27 16:48
I don't think so. People just want to have more jobs at home and see that there are many jobs crea ...

yes, globalisation has peaked. Evidence every where.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.