Author: waiboshu

Do you have a Chinese name or a English name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-25 10:09:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vk3ukf at 2012-11-25 12:10

Hello White Bear,
I would really like to be capable of what you did.

I can not read or verbalise Chinese, I went off to the translators to change the English meanings of my name into Chinese.

Can anyone here write in English what the translation of my name in Chinese sounds like to the ear?

I just got a PM from a rather sus character I think.

White Bear, your name is in a red square, I have a vague bell ringing in my head that it is appropriate to put a name in a square, as it indicates a persons name, I may have seen such things on bank documents or cheques from China, perhaps porcelain as well.
A bit like how the Egyptians use a cartouche to indicate a persons name.

Is this correct, or am I falling out of the wrong tree again?

Is it the norm to get a Sinoised name that sounds like your English name or, do people go for the meaning of the name conversion as well?
In English, my given name is Kevin.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-25 19:00:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2012-11-25 19:53
vk3ukf Post time: 2012-11-25 10:09
Hello White Bear,
I would really like to be capable of what you did.

I'm also far from being good at reading and writing Chinese ;) my real knowledge is still barely survival.

I used dictionary to find characters that sounds similar to my name, and means something that I can say that shows my personality, and also when placed in "square stamp" don't change the meaning into something unpleasant (if reading in other order).

My Chinese friends then checked it if it is acceptable. At this point I was told, that it is not classic Chinese name, because it have one more character, but I decided not to change it. Maybe it is not 100% Chinese name, but I'm not Chinese :) so it can be a difference (IMHO).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 19:17:12 |Display all floors
i´m called "laopi": comes from "lao" and "Pe" (Peter).
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 19:21:32 |Display all floors
maybe most dogs named Wangcai

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-25 20:42:14 |Display all floors
Hi White Bear, well as far as surviving goes, you seem to be doing very well, having friends there would be a huge plus. Thanks for telling me your method of finding a name. I have now a small Collins Mandarin - Chinese dictionary. I am again on the path of learning, not that it ever stops really, but something new is always a little bit exciting. There is another post here at CD about names and getting a Chinese one, the lady OP showed a way using your birthday. The really big surprise I just got, was that the meaning in one of the Chinese characters was the same as the meaning of my name in English, almost a little scary.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-26 09:35:13 |Display all floors
vk3ukf Post time: 2012-11-25 20:42
Hi White Bear, well as far as surviving goes, you seem to be doing very well, having friends there w ...

give us a link, please... it could be very interesting method :)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-26 19:46:48 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-11-26 09:35
give us a link, please... it could be very interesting method :)

Here's the link:
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-794192-1-1.html

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.