Views: 19351|Replies: 38

Are Chinese parents stupid and ignorant?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-5 11:49:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jiayangguizi8 at 2012-11-5 19:02

When it comes to hiring foreign English teachers, 90% of the employee will be whites and the majority of the rest will be Black or other. But no Asians. The reason that is always given is that "parents believe that only white faces know how to speak English".

I am not a native English speaker, but since recently, I've been mostly hanging out with Westerners of Chinese origin. Most of them were born in English speaking countries and have English as their native tongue. Some of them applied for English teaching jobs in China, but most got rejected despite having teaching qualifications and experience. Others got accepted, but at a much lower wage and with fewer benefits than their white workmates who have the same teaching background.
Before that, when I arrived in China, I was hanging out with foreigners who happened to be Black and white. Some of them were English teachers. One was Russian with absolutely horrible English skills, and others were French, Swedish and German with fluent English but mild accents. All of them got a full-time job teaching English. Some in private institutions, and others in public ones.
When we hit the bar after work, some even brag about how they manage to sleep with different of their female university students on regular basis.

I would understand that the institutions are there to make money, but China has been open for 30 years now, so parents must certainly know by now that a Norwegian with blonde hair and blue eyes doesn't necessarily speak fluent English.

So, my question is: Are the parents only willing to spend their money on the looks of the person teaching their kids for face, rather than focusing on their teaching skills?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-5 13:53:06 |Display all floors
Same goes to their country...they will hire Chinese Language teacher from China...if they need one...because of Native knowledge...many times its not about how well you speaks...its about your race and mother tongue...

i bet you will take a Japanese to teach you Japanese...bcos when it comes to Native...there are certain slangs or words they know how to use for daily...for conversations not being formal...

as too those students sleeping with Whites & Blacks...got nothing to do with English teaching...its sl uts and b1tches~
there are ALOT in the West....ever heard of dorm gang bang?
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-5 16:10:12 |Display all floors
Chinese parent are very intelligent. They want girls to find big strong American or European man to protect them. If you have a girls, you want her to protect by big man from predator.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-5 16:18:27 |Display all floors
@slimpanda

you didn't read the post correctly. Those foreigners of Chinese origin are born in countries that speak English. English is their mother tongue. They are native English speakers. They speak it as good as whites who were born in the same country as them. Yet they get refused to get jobs to teach English over whites.

Read the post again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-5 17:22:25 |Display all floors
It seems that educational establishments think (and are probably correct in thinking) that parents expect to see a white English teacher and so employ them as trophies regardless of their English speaking qualities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-5 19:07:55 |Display all floors
@Laowai2?

everybody knows that. But that's not the question

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-6 00:03:24 |Display all floors
jiayangguizi8 Post time: 2012-11-5 19:07
@Laowai2?

everybody knows that. But that's not the question

They are spending their money on the perception that white is better. They would not know if an English born Chinese was a good English teacher. They probably cannot speak English themselves so how would they know the difference?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.