Author: vincent01

[US] Obama and Romney: Why All the China-Bashing?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-21 14:20:46 |Display all floors
The question is not why China bashing , but why not bash China?

And why bash China is so popular.................
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 04:29:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
   NEVER AGAIN  !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 04:31:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
   NEVER AGAIN  !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 09:15:04 |Display all floors
saltandpepper Post time: 2012-10-21 04:24
It's a simple answer.
Without bashing PRC, none would get the vote.

You think there   Should be a love fest ?

Feeling rejected?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 10:34:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2012-10-22 12:11

THE POLITICAL ARENA WHERE THE SPEAR KNOWS NO BROTHER

Actually, both Obama and Romney are nice people.  But as politicians, they are beholden to the vested interests that have supported their rise to power.  They can no longer speak their own minds about most things.  They are slaves to the polls and lobbyists whose boots they have to kiss and whose ire they have to fear.  If Obama does not get elected, by January 20th, he will just be Professor Obama again.  And Romney, on November 6, if he fails to get elected, he will just be CEO Romney again.

Of course, they might never be friends, but the anger would have died down then.

As far as China is concerned, it should be less worried about who is the President than what policies he is likely to be beholden to, as desired by the vested interests in and outside of the government.  Obama does not have the same degree of internal control as George W Bush did, and thus there are many loose cannons that could trigger war in East Asia under his watch or lack thereof.   Endless military exercises with one and all may seem macho enough, but why should Americans be doing the fighting for Japan, who attacked Amerca in WWII, or Vietnam which attacked US marines and soldiers in the Vietnam War?  McCain said it well, "The wrong guys won," in the Vietnam War.  High level diplomacy is clearly missing during Obama's term due to lack of contacts and a comprehensive peace framework to guide policy decisions.  It has been a matter of either containing China or putting out the fires, but hardly ever a process of turning China from an enemy into a friend of America before any crisis crops up, such as the Diaoyu incident.  In fact, it seems more like a policy of hoping such a crisis would crop up that would result in a miitary showdown between the two giants in which nobody is going to win, i.e., falling into the trap of the Japanese.  Everything favors Japan even at the dire expense of American lives, fortunes and peace of mind.  Bush is more balanced in treating allies and foes, with a steady view toward American national interest at all times.  Romney probably will also.  He might have to raise tariffs on Chinese goods by declaring China is undervaluing its currency.  But this might be good for China, because it in fact has been overvalung its currency in order to trade with the US, such that if it had to face higher tariffs, it has no choice but to devalue its currency in the end, as its still nascent economic productivity would have required long ago, which will spur China's economic growth.  America may slip to being China's fifth trading partner due to the higher tariffs, but China's trade with the rest of the world will bloom.  It is a win-win solution in actuality.  America will be more determined to produce the so-called "low end manufactures" on its own, hopefully, and generate more low end jobs that at least pays the rent.  But it would be far more likely for America to import from other third world countries at a higher price than China is asking, for the same kinds of goods, and end up losing even more money through trade imbalances with South America, for example.  If so, the Romney agenda will have failed, and China will emerge the sole winner of the debacle, as China can earn back its money from South America instead.  

Poor old Kissinger whose well thought out framework for defending US interests seems to have been forgoteen by one and all.  The old horse would have loved to return to the battlefield if his health could permit it.  But this is also a blessing, that he is still here with us, and may be able to give whoever the winner of this race may be, the final vision of a world in which America and China will remain at peace, if not be partners in ensuring such peace.  Steering the ship of state with only backview mirrors, seeing the Cold War behind us, but not the iceberg of Japanese fascist revanchism rising from the waves of the Pacific, can be disastrous. Even worse is listening to kibitzers who are looking at the same backview mirrors.  Everybody is good at fighting the last war, and most are surprised why the next war is here, when the last war remains burning in their minds.  Only a statesman who can see beyond the past into the future, generations hence, can clearly steer the ship he is entrusted with, with a clear eye and a steady hand, toward safety and warm welcome at home.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 10:44:36 |Display all floors
saltandpepper Post time: 2012-10-21 04:24
It's a simple answer.
Without bashing PRC, none would get the vote.

what u r saying is that American people hate China , right?
So Obama and Romney have to be Sinophobic to win the vote
Then whay American People hate China so much ?
Cuz they think Chinese steal their jobs ?
But it is the Wall Street companies who are shipping jobs to China for bigger profits .
and Obama and Romney represent the i% Wall street rich bastards
so........
Whose @$$ can i blow sunshine up today ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-22 10:49:59 |Display all floors
Teardropper Post time: 2012-10-22 10:44
what u r saying is that American people hate China , right?
So Obama and Romney have to be Sinopho ...

you also MOrmon?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.