Author: river16

true story: my personal experience of internet fraud   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-17 21:42:14 |Display all floors
This post was edited by river16 at 2012-10-17 21:43
loveyouall Post time: 2012-10-17 21:21
you are so desperate that you need a social networking website? Dont you read about internet scams e ...

no, i just log on for fun, reading some local news and information, i never considered this as a main approach.

this is the first time i encounter such a situation. i embrace and learn my lesson. it's better to learn it early. only after you experienced this could you learn this. i'm lucky. a couple of hundreds rmb is not a big deal, next time in a business cooperation or something, this experience of loss will pay off.
(this hidden signature can only be seen by myself)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-17 22:00:50 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-10-17 21:45
Your experience was very interesting, too. Actually, I ran into the same situation two times - aft ...

it's hard to believe a smart guy like you would have been into same situation twice. maybe you are too educated!

been there twice, you were lucky you did not lose any money. but most of foreigners will be scared in such a situation. i am not saying they are coward, it is just not worth to take the risk. your life is worthy, theirs are not. however this is exactly what they take advantage of.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-10-17 22:14:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2012-10-17 23:00

This is scam that was just attempted on a friend of mine in Beijing. She's Chinese and an ex policewoman but even so it was quite sophisticated in it's scope.

It started with a guy contacting her from Scotland (UK) on QQ and they were chatting, he helping her with her English for a few days. Then he asked for her address as he wanted to send her a CD.

5 Days later an email arrived purporting to be from a well known courier company in the UK. It included a waybill showing the contents of a parcel, included was an iphone 4s, 2 boxes of jewelry, and other things.  The interesting part was the declared value of 2500 pounds sterling or 6900 USD which doesn't computer.

The scam works by demanding the mark (my friend) to pay import duties/taxes as required by Chinese customs before the parcel will be released. Of course they prefer you to pay by credit card but bank transfer to an account elsewhere or western union will be quite acceptable. Evil isn't it?

citylink-blanked out.jpg

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-17 23:04:04 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2012-10-17 22:14
This is scam that was just attempted on a friend of mine in Beijing. She's Chinese and an ex policew ...

yeah when you recieve a postal package from a stranger, don't pick it up.

when you receive a message from a stranger, good or bad, ignore it.

when you have an incoming call from a number that is not on your friendlist, don't answer it.

when you... ... ...

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-18 02:19:50 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-10-17 20:26
In Guilin there is a pedestrianised street polpularly called the "Buxin Jie", with many nice bouti ...

I do not know what I could have done if I was not familiar with similar stories.How could I imagine that a smiling girl so polite to me could ever have in mind to guide me to a tea house and be overcharged.
The fact that she was an unknown person to me ,met  in a street only ,perhaps could make me refuse her invitation but believe me the way she approached me was so friendly that I am afraid I could have been a victim.Of course I would react watching the bill ,this is for sure.She was also a girl not a man which means that a woman can trust a girl
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-18 17:25:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-10-18 12:00
Foreign travellers are prone to attacks of loneliness in an alien culture such as the Chinese; not ...

life always teachs us to be more and more careful and gives us lessons
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-25 11:36:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-10-17 20:31
Nanjing Lu in SHanghai is notorious for this type of encounters: Foreigners get spoken to by very  ...

I also followed often by street sellers. they want to take me to their shops. I said NO NO NO whille they looked me unfriendly. but I do not care, any cases they want to find trouble I can get them in ...
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.