Views: 13462|Replies: 33

What cultural differences have you encountered?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-15 17:27:54 |Display all floors
What cultural differences have you encountered? And what do you find interesting about the differences?

When travelling to another country, do you relish the cultural differences or experience a culture shock?

It could be people’s different clothing, their traditional dishes, language or their way of life.

Though you may appreciate the difference, it still takes some time to get used to it. Do you have any story of experiencing a different culture?

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-10-15 18:18:10 |Display all floors
when I first visited China I definitely saw a lot of cultural differences.These differences make a country interesting.I respected them and got familiar very easily.I found also big  differences in fashion which are also acceptable and show the style of the chinese people.These differences make China attractive.
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 18:24:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by xilaren at 2012-10-15 18:25

This summer I had two chinese visitors in my house and I noticed something I had never noticed before.
The older lady at the age of fifty  was willing to wash the dishes after we had lunch.Although I refused strongly she insisted so much that some times she was the winner.
Any time she did that I noticed that she did not use the detergent, the liquid soap, we use to wash the dishes.She used just the water to rinse them.
Of course when she left the kitchen I hurriedly washed them again properly.
I asked my chinese friend in Greece and she told me that this is how the chinese people wash the dishes.That was a surprise to me.I am wondering when we go to a restaurant are all the dished washed without the soap liquid?If yes then it is not nice for somebody to know.
Tell me your opinion please.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 18:54:22 |Display all floors
This post was edited by xilaren at 2012-10-15 18:54
seneca Post time: 2012-10-15 18:38
I have noticed the exact same thing in China for a long time.

People do not wash dishes with dete ...

that was a sad surprise to me .Definitely I do not care if the dishes are not washed with a liquid when I am a guest in  a chinese house and know the people.However in a restaurant I would like to know that there is a detergent.
This chinese lady was of course surprised in my house when she saw that we did not use slippers inside.
She asked me how I dare to use the same shoes and carry the dirt from outside.haha
I gave her an answer.
First a virus is not carried like that.As far as dust is concerned of course we have a small rug ouside the flat and wipe our shoes any time we go inside.
Third it is such a stressful story to oblige people do that.People will consider me a maniac in cleaning and criticise me.I will send guest out of my house and be considered not a good hostess if I do that to the greek people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 19:50:24 |Display all floors
You two both are wrong or given the wrong notices.

Chinese ppl use liquid detergent not only wash dishes but also vegetables. do you know how much detergent were sold in a small store per day ?

LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 19:53:54 |Display all floors
xilaren Post time: 2012-10-15 18:24
This summer I had two chinese visitors in my house and I noticed something I had never noticed befor ...

fully understand your concerns, but after several years here just sometimes i close my eyes and don´t think about it.......what bothers me more is that chefs don´t wash hands after visiting WC and some hotels do not apply sterilizer bec. safe money.
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 20:13:35 |Display all floors
xilaren Post time: 2012-10-15 18:24
This summer I had two chinese visitors in my house and I noticed something I had never noticed befor ...

Why do your chinese friend like to generalize and degrade the rest of chinese ?

LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.