Author: BigWang

China's new Smart TV & set top Box are powered by US Broadcom chips. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-12 19:13:10 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-10-12 01:15
My clothes are made in China, my laptop is made in China, my mobile phone is made in China and even  ...

I am with you, think globally. There are satalites and space stations, drones and spies, security is a joke. Lets just get on with peace. At least we can voice an opinion here; sometimes
Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone. Kindness in anothers trouble, and .courage in your own. Annon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-13 00:46:34 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-10-12 16:40
So why don't you join an open source community to design some? (I guess you, like most people, don ...

What's the point? There are a lot of Chinese mobile MIPS/ARM based CPU manufacturers and their performance is usually in pair (Sometime even exceed) with big western brands. In term of technology they are in pair too, They are using 40nm/28nm process. What we are talking about however is that Chinese companies should use the Chinese chipsets when available instead of western ones.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-13 19:53:01 |Display all floors
What's the point? There are a lot of Chinese mobile MIPS/ARM based CPU manufacturers and their performance is usually in pair (Sometime even exceed) with big western brands. In term of technology they are in pair too, They are using 40nm/28nm process. What we are talking about however is that Chinese companies should use the Chinese chipsets when available instead of western ones.

So build a cheap but good computer (like the Raspberry Pi) with Chinese chips and sell it - don't wait for others to do it.
If there is a business opportunity, don't wait until others take it - do it yourself. That's how you become successful!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-13 20:42:15 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-10-13 19:53
So build a cheap but good computer (like the Raspberry Pi) with Chinese chips and sell it - don't  ...

I am currently writing from a $150 Android 4.1 tablet with Rockchip RK3066 CPU (Dual Core Cortex A9 1.6Ghz Mali400mp4 quad core gpu) (I have simply connected wireless keyboard to it so can type significantly faster than from the touch input)
There are miniPCs based on this CPU available for around $50 and they can run Linux too.
Most popular however for such purpose is the single-core chipset from AllWinnerTech (Singe Core Cortex A8 1.2Ghz with Mali400mp, NEON, 2160p VPU and the cost of this SoC in mass-volume is around $7.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-15 04:16:11 |Display all floors
I am currently writing from a $150 Android 4.1 tablet with Rockchip RK3066 CPU (Dual Core Cortex A9 1.6Ghz Mali400mp4 quad core gpu) (I have simply connected wireless keyboard to it so can type significantly faster than from the touch input)
There are miniPCs based on this CPU available for around $50 and they can run Linux too.
Most popular however for such purpose is the single-core chipset from AllWinnerTech (Singe Core Cortex A8 1.2Ghz with Mali400mp, NEON, 2160p VPU and the cost of this SoC in mass-volume is around $7.

Now that sounds just awesome. I'll make sure I get one of these the next time when I'm in China and see how well UNIX runs on them!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.