Author: BigWang

China's new Smart TV & set top Box are powered by US Broadcom chips. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-12 07:26:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:36:34 |Display all floors
BigWang Post time: 2012-10-12 07:26
OK, give you one feature SmartTv has, its screen can be touch control.

You can't turn a regular TV ...

It has MicroSD-HC slot up to 64GB and you may connect an external HDD to it by USB (This one can be 1TB/More). As of IPTV recording, It depend on the application/software buiilt for specific IPTV provider.
And again, My point is this: The TV manufacturers may create a SmartTV with a lot of chipsets/SoCs.
Broadcom is just one of them company. There are many more. Although from my point of view it is not generally accepted to have a Satellite/Cable receiver built-into the TV since each satellite/cable provider use different standards (Different codecs/frequencies etc)
For example SmartTVs from Samsung have only DVB-T tuner built-in, Not Satellite/Cable and it has a GoogleTV OS which is a "cut down" version of Android.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:48:38 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:58:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vvuvv at 2012-10-12 08:00
BigWang Post time: 2012-10-12 07:48
OK, you plug in a USB based Harddrive there but so, there are No app software to transfer the progr ...

I don't really get it. Android with all the applications are located on the built-in NAND
The movie files are located on the external HDD. I don't really understand the part about "OK, you plug in a USB based Harddrive there but so, there are No app software to transfer the programming into your external Harddrive. No programs to get from your USB harddrive for playback. It's not there.
"
You may record IPTV into the external HDD. It is technically possible. As well as DVB-T. As of cable/satellite, Probably not though I am quite sure Broadcom can not do this too.

IPTV is not cable. IPTV is internet based live TV streaming.  We are probably talking about something entirely different here.
When you started this thread, Were you by chance talking about Hisense?

Here is article from their website:
Broadcom and Hisense Join Forces to Deliver Wi-Fi Enabled Consumer Electronics to Chinese MarketCompanies Unveil Hisense's First Wi-Fi Enabled Smart TV; Paves Way for Internet TV Adoption in ChinaLAS VEGAS, Jan. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- 2012 International CES --
News Highlights:
  • Broadcom and Hisense will develop Wi-Fi enabled consumer electronics for the Chinese market
  • Integrating Wi-Fi into Smart TVs simplifies connectivity between devices and transforms the digital home experience
  • Hisense's new Smart TV based on Broadcom Wi-Fi to address Chinese market for Internet TVs
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a collaboration with Hisense, China's leading TV manufacturer. As part of this joint initiative, Broadcom and Hisense will design and develop Wi-Fi enabled consumer electronics for the Chinese market, including Hisense's first Smart TV. Visit Experience Broadcom @ CES for  more news, blogs and multi-media from CES.
The market for Internet TVs worldwide continues to grow substantially, with an estimated 153 percent growth in 2011 alone, according to Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute (MIC), Taiwan. As consumers turn to their TVs for access to the Internet, there's an increased demand for simplified connectivity between the TV and all their Wi-Fi enabled devices.
By incorporating Broadcom's leading Wi-Fi technology into Hisense's new Smart TV, consumers are able to seamlessly transfer data or videos between their TVs and other mobile devices, stream services from the Internet, and download innovative applications for entertainment, business or personal needs.
Highlights:
  • The Hisense XT710 Smart TV delivers a sophisticated design, ultra-contrast screen and slim display panel.
  • Based on Android, the XT710 comes with thousands of Android Apps and access to Hisense App Shop, a 3D LED, and seamless connectivity to other devices.
  • Leveraging Broadcom's leading Wi-Fi technology, Hisense's new Smart TV features:
    • 300Mbps data rate and an integrated 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi module for a quality viewing experience.
    • Multi-screen convergence over Wi-Fi to connect with mobile devices, including mobile phones, tablets and PCs.
    • WiFi Direct to facilitate pairing, setup and IP configuration procedures.
  • Hisense's new Smart TVs are powered by Broadcom's BCM43235 2x2 2.4 GHz chip.
    • BCM43235 provides best-in-class performance with a highly integrated SoC design.
    • By integrating a variety of components on-chip, Broadcom minimizes the Bill of Materials (BOM) and delivers smaller form factor and lower cost PCB solutions.

Unless I have overlooked something, There is no word about cable/satellite, Not even DVB-T in here. Am I missing something?
Also please note that the "Hisense's new Smart TVs are powered by Broadcom's BCM43235 2x2 2.4 GHz chip." part is about WiFi frequency, Not CPU Speed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 08:27:22 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 08:38:54 |Display all floors
BigWang Post time: 2012-10-12 08:27
reading on the spec, that mean this smart TV has only sub set of the features.  What's WIFII for?  ...

Basically any SmartTV so far can get DVB-T & IPTV without any additional equipment.(Cable/Satellite STB)

The WiFi is basically for IPTV.
They have either Android/GoogleTV integrated so it kind of give PC functions to your TV. Though you can achieve this task by connecting the HDMI Android Box/Tablet to any TV with HDMI input.
Most SmartTVs currently doesn't come with a touch screen (Afterall it is generally acceptable to watch the TV from a distance, You need to be too close to the TV to use the touch functionality)
Instead, It comes with the "air" remote controller (Same as "air mouse")
So I don't consider Smart TV as something "too innovative"
It is a good thing to watch IPTV without any additional equipment, Though I don't think it is too important.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 16:40:31 |Display all floors
We want internal compnents designed and made in China.

So why don't you join an open source community to design some? (I guess you, like most people, don't have the financial assets to start a big company all yourself, but you could get going by finding peers and developing your first computers)

One option might be OpenRISC which develops an open-source RISC CPU chip. You might just start little and only donate a small share of your precious time to them - but you'll learn alot about CPUs. Another option would be join open source operating system development - like the FreeBSD Community. Then you could at least help making some software "made by YOU".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.