Author: BigWang

China's new Smart TV & set top Box are powered by US Broadcom chips. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-10-12 05:43:55 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 06:20:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vvuvv at 2012-10-12 06:26
BigWang Post time: 2012-10-12 05:43
Chips for SetTop, or Smart TV has other functions such processing signals from Satellite Dishes, or ...

No offense intended, Though I am quite sure you don't know too much about the Android OS and SmartTV. Android 4 has different interface for phone & tablet. Any device with HDMI 1.4a can output 3D, Of course the TV itself should support the 3D function (In fact there are some phones/tablets with Glasses-free 3D screen)
Most tablets and IPTV set top box has HDMI 1.4a output so 3D is indeed possible. Most IPTV STB has the ArmV7/Cortex A9 CPU (Some Armv7/Cortex A8) some single core, Some dual core with mali400mp GPU.
RK3066 is a dual core Cortex A9 1.6Ghz+Quad Core Mali400mp4 so it is capable of running everything very fast. You can surf the web just/Watch Youku etc using HTML5/Flash Player/Play Android games/Voice/Video chat etc.
Here is a small video demonstration of what I mean
v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU0MDgzMjIw.html
(Although the one in this video is probably a single core version)
Most of the IPTV boxes/SmartTV are currently running GoogleTV which is in fact a cut down customized Android version.
For example you may connect your Android 4 tablet to your TV and play some 3D Racing game on a big screen TV.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 06:36:10 |Display all floors
No offsense intended, Though I am sure you don't know much about Android/GoogleTV/Tablets.
Most IPTV set top box are running GoogleTV now which is a cut down/customized version of Android.

Most of them are having either Cortex A8 Single core/Cortex A9 Dual core CPU with Mali400mp GPU.
The RAM is usually 512MB-1GB DDR3.
RK3066 is Dual Core Cortex A9 1.6Ghz Mali400mp4 Quad Core GPU.
Any device with HDMI 1.4a can output 3D (Of course the TV should support 3D too)

Android 4 has different interface for phone/tablet. I can connect my Android 4 tablet to the TV and surf the web/Watch Youku etc through either Adobe Flash Player/HTML5 no problems at all also I can play all the Android games on a big screen without any problems. I can watch 3D movies on a 3D capable TV through the tablet too as well as voice/video chat etc.

Some tablets/smartphone are even having glasses-free 3D function so you may watch 3D on a tablet screen without TV at all.

IPTV set top boxes are not same as Cable/Satellite tv (Although some of them have the DVB-T functionality)

Most tablets has Bluetooth & USB host so you can connect wireless/air mouse/remote controller/keyboard etc. There are some videos on youku website (can not post the link here) that are demonstrating the functionality of such devices. So in fact, There is not much difference.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 06:42:28 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:01:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by antimatter at 2012-10-12 07:02
vvuvv Post time: 2012-10-12 06:36
No offsense intended, Though I am sure you don't know much about Android/GoogleTV/Tablets.
Most IPTV ...

what

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:04:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-12 07:16:07 |Display all floors
BigWang Post time: 2012-10-12 07:04
You purcahsed your Tablet and Big TV screen separately right?  Two different products.

Smart TV is ...

Yes, Tablet/Android HDMI stick can turn any TV into a SmartTV (In fact, I am using tablet too, So what is the problem, I will not be able to take my SmartTV with me so I will need a tablet anyway, Right?)
You can integrate the exact same Rockchip chipset to create a SmartTV. It is not a problem and integrate cable/satellite/DVB-T receiver into it. I don't see any problems with this. You don't have to use the Broadcom chipset. There are a lot of alternatives.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.