Views: 5647|Replies: 3

Building your confidence - speaking English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-25 23:39:08 |Display all floors
I know a lot of people want to practice their English speaking skill but worry too much about not being understood.  I understand the fear because I was like that just a few years ago.

Like you, English was not my 1st language, and I came to live in America so I had to communicate in English.  I went to Roosevelt University in Chicago, and being the only non native speaker in my class, I was very shy and didn't want to participate in any discussions, and that stopped me from making improvements.  I could write and read but I couldn't verbally express myself - I realized I had to make some changes if I wanted to get better at it.

I had to put aside my pride (ego) and face my fear - "thick face".  These are the steps:

• Talk to myself - I began doing this exercise - everyday at home, I would look at a mirror and talk to myself in English just like talking to a friend - it might sound silly but I asked myself, "How are you today?", "What is you class schedule today?", "What is your favorite subject?"......etc.
  • Reaching out - I think after about a month, I was able to talk to my American classmates, and some people were very happy that I finally opened up to them.  It took time but that practice helped me to build up confidence to talk to native English speakers.
  • Listening - I also paid attention to how people responded to me.  If I didn't understand a word, I asked them to spell it to me and made sure I checked the new word.  I've learned a lot by listening which help to improve my speaking.

Let me know if this is helpful to you.
http://www.helpmyenglishsucks.com

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-9-26 10:07:40 |Display all floors
do you have good oral skills?
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-27 00:38:38 |Display all floors
snappysammy Post time: 2012-9-26 10:07
do you have good oral skills?

Thank you for asking.  I have excellent verbal English communication sills, and I give credit to Toastmaster International Organization, http://www.toastmasters.org. - check it out online if you like to have some information.

I've been a member of TM since 2010, and I've won many ribbons and 2 trophies participating in speech competitions.

http://www.helpmyenglishsucks.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-1 13:03:00 |Display all floors
I Feel i am poor in my oral english ,i worry about people doesn't understand my words .can you help me to improve it .thanks

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.