Author: expatter

Filial Piety and the Role in Chinese Life ………. ? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-6 00:06:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-12-6 00:07
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-5 21:26
Interesting post. Chinese may be shifting to Western religious ideals, i'm not sure, but I know the  ...

Only a small percentage of Chinese are Christian and mostly those from cities, and I do not think this has reached the vast majority in the hinterlands.  Certainly many Western values are being adopted in China and a big move away is that young people are starting to want their own home and independence from their family, rather than the old traditional way of four generations under one roof.

In Chinese society traditionally the Patriarch was obeyed by all and offspring did the bidding of their elders and I think that is still quite prevalent today. Parents choose the school, the university, the major, the girlfriend and even in many cases the wife. Whilst this is not so true today I believe that many young Chinese feel very obligated to pander to their parent’s choices and views. In my opinion this affects not only the structure of social intercourse and creativity between adolescents, but also how they perceive even their education and indeed the point of it.

The Chinese have for centuries followed the principles of Confucius and I believe that this ideal suited both the Emperor, who was regarded as the Patriarch of the family of China, and it also suited grandparents and parents to have the same power in their own social sphere. Add to that the education system or ‘government exam’ then one has a system which is seemingly rigidly set in stone and one of expectation rather than a looser structure which could develop through trial and error. This would conflate in the expectations of those in charge and those who obeyed, and a classic example is the government exam which I mentioned which was pure rote learning of Confucianism. This would serve to reinforce a system which had the merits of ‘it has always been done this way’, and continues to some degree in the way adolescents obey their parents and go to a university where rote learning whilst topically changed is still the expectation of rote learning. Although as I understand it the Chinese Government has sought research on Western teaching methods and are eager to change the structure of the arrogant podium based book thumping lecturer to something much more learner orientated.

I believe that filial piety and its expectations can serve only to assure the older generation that their own needs will be met when they are older rather than the needs of blossoming hearts and minds of their offspring.  Additionally, the current collusive education system where the parents support the institution in all facets at the detriment of their young, and where the institution almost guarantees a pass on subjects that are learned in a way more akin to the old government exam can only hold back China’s youth in the area of creativity and free expressions in art forms.

In reality as the layers of filial piety slowly peel away we may see a more exciting and creative energy in China and hopefully by then the political system will have changed to suit a Renaissance in the East.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-6 00:56:05 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-6 00:06
Only a small percentage of Chinese are Christian and mostly those from cities, and I do not think t ...

Regarding religion, whenever I see Chinese Christians I can't help but think of the opium wars, but as if its the opium of religion thats now in effect. I don't think China will become that much more Christian, while many other nations have almost completely adopted Christianity after contact with West, India and China have been relatively immune so its likely to continue that way. On education, I find it amazing that the origional examinations to select the Chinese Imperial administration have caused such a large influence on China even to this day. While they were groundbreaking at the time I think later on they may have developed the cultural idea 'learn to pass the exam' rather than learning for the sake of learning. I certainly noticed the difficulty of some Chinese students at my school last year with tasks involving creating your own physics experiment. Their actual physics knowledge was amongst the best in the class so it was surprising to see them struggle as much as they did. I think they had trouble purely because they had never had to do something like that before and were used to solely rote learning. I think the West, especially at my school, didn't use rote learning enough and overall knowledge of some of my peers was often lacking as a result. I think its a fine balance between the two to get the best outcome.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-12-6 01:00:01 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-6 00:56
Regarding religion, whenever I see Chinese Christians I can't help but think of the opium wars, bu ...

they may have developed the cultural idea 'learn to pass the exam'

Very quotidian as I understand it in China  ............   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-6 01:02:34 |Display all floors
"If you would like to ask it again then I will try and conjure up a cobbled reply to address that same"

What was that question you were referring to?
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-6 01:04:55 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-12-6 01:00
Very quotidian as I understand it in China  ............

What was that question of mine regarding democracy you were referring to earlier ?

ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-6 01:32:56 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-6 01:04
What was that question of mine regarding democracy you were referring to earlier ?

The question was something such as .............

What system other than the current accepted democracy would work  ..........  ?

(You were I believe getting somewhat frustrated by comments that did not address your points  ...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am sure they are not the actual words and it seemed like quite a good question at the time to someone else, so I ignored it for that reason plus another  .........   

I do not really wish to bore down through so many unexpected replies to my original OP (120 odd pages !) which kind of wandered on and off track every now and again   .......  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-7 10:52:10 |Display all floors
I always put the wellbeing of my parents in the first place, everybody is the next, not even my pet cat.   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.