Author: expatter

Filial Piety and the Role in Chinese Life ………. ? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-9 17:25:40 |Display all floors
Some interesting ideas there  ..........

If you get a chance take a look at this thesis by a Chinese  .............

http://www.thomehfang.com/suncrates5/xiaodao.html

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-12 09:34:55 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-9-9 15:38
On the simple definition of filial piety, we had a similar sort of thing in the West in olden times. ...
ilial piety has been somewhat turned on its head-a large number of wealthy home owning older people looking after their kids !
I agree with you this point.

Almost 100% of chinese parents are looking after the grandchildren at home now.

Even some of them are not willing to do that.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-22 16:51:22 |Display all floors
Hmmmm ……..   !
There are some good ideas though except fertility is not the same as restricting the number of children per family. Fertility relates to ‘fertile’ and that means whether a couple can produce or are capable of producing children in the first place. Fertility reportedly has dropped in many Western countries and maybe something to do with lifestyle. Also the number of births per family is not necessarily correlated to fertility as in the modern world many educated people choose to limit the number of offspring to suit a pecuniary or lifestyle situation.

As regards the imbalance in males to females in China I suspect that openly encouraging men to be gay will solve that issue as this relieves the problem by the factor of two each time. In addition, it will fit nicely with HR and human choices that the West choose to encourage in China.

It is obviously also true that in the West empirically families were large and this was the insecurity maybe of the parents in seeking to have support in their old age and possibly even financial advantage due to the extra man hours a family could produce. It was also true that the establishment favoured larger families as in some sense to have a large army one needed a large population. Even today the Catholic Church is in favour of large families which may in turn create a larger and more profitable flock.

“However, in the West the young believe in the exterior idea that individual freedom outweighs the rights of family.”
I hold this to be farfetched or an oversimplification.

No, I do not see that as ‘far-fetched’. The family may give the freedom in the West but many also take it, because they are more independent in the West. Here in China filial piety often shows itself in the way parents choose the university, choose the major, choose the job and in some cases choose the spouse. That does not happen in the West and in China it is expected and in many cases accepted as a normal role for adolescents.  Therefore filial piety transmutes through much or the majority of Chinese culture and I believe that this also affects the way the family still adhere to and guangxi and ancestor worship.

I also believe that these factors are quite salient in the way that the Chinese view politics in that they see the State as a parent in the same way the Emperor was and when things are good little to no interest is shown in politics (apathy) because the ‘Mandate from Heaven’ is in place.

However,  when there is starvation and pestilence then the Chinese rise up to address the situation and do so rigorously and as in the past, vehemently and with great passion.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-23 14:44:18 |Display all floors
Wait till a social scientist go through the figures.........

And pick out facts from fiction.

Myths vs reality.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-5 21:07:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-9-9 15:03
Are you sure your understanding of the filial piety concept is the only possible one, and correct as ...

I forgot to press the reply button for this  ...........

If you have any further ideas on this because there is a further facet that might be worth a discussion  .......  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-5 21:26:39 |Display all floors
Interesting post. Chinese may be shifting to Western religious ideals, i'm not sure, but I know the West is shifting away from religion. I cannot speak for China but in Australia, the churches are filled with the elderly or immigrants (often Chinese). I have only a couple of friends who are religious and the vast majority are not at all. I would think China is shifting, not to Western religious ideals but to Western ideals that may not put as much emphasis on filial piety like in the past. Not sure how One Child policy became part of this topic but I agree with it completely. A good policy of the CPC.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-6 00:04:13 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-5 21:26
Interesting post. Chinese may be shifting to Western religious ideals, i'm not sure, but I know the  ...

You should find a reply soon with regards this idea  .........

Oh BTW  .......  !

You asked a very good question in the Democracy thread about what other choice and what would it look like ........   ?

If you would like to ask it again then I will try and conjure up a cobbled reply to address that same  ...  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.