Author: helper4u3

Why 40 hours a working week in the west?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-8-21 12:48:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2012-8-21 12:49

I hate to burst your bubble somewhat but the 40 hour week originated in the 8 hour day campaign that was started in 1817 by John Owen who owned New Lanark, a cotton mill and village in Lanarkshire Scotland and the first location in the world to adhere to the 8 hour day slogan of "Eight hours labour, Eight hours recreation, Eight hours rest."

It wasn't until the 1940s that most workers were granted the 8 hour day / 40 hour work week and since the 1980s there's been a steady erosion of the hours for non managerial positions and many jobs have crept back up to 48-56 hours a week, something that may be viewed as morally reprehensible given unemployment levels in many countries.

Most senior management in multinational's for example will work 70-80 hour weeks and many self employed people work around 100 hours a week.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-22 03:08:11 |Display all floors
If I recall correctly, the work week in Germany is 38 hours and in France it is 35 hours.  Also, most Europeans have a government mandated number of vacation days.  I remember in my time living in Germany everyone received at least 4 weeks of vacation every year.  I believe it is 5 weeks now in both France and Germany.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-8-22 03:55:28 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-8-20 14:07
depends who in the west you're talking about...
Ordinary workers have rather short working hours bec ...

agree.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-22 04:03:05 |Display all floors
ColoradoDan Post time: 2012-8-22 03:08
If I recall correctly, the work week in Germany is 38 hours and in France it is 35 hours.  Also, mos ...

Officially it's supposed to be 39 for me,
and I recall receiving a warning from the Union Rep to finnish Work earlier on Friday to abide by it.
End earlier on a Friday - as if no work for two following consecutive days was not bad enough already.

And what the Hell did I give a Fingerprint for the doors for, if I should stay within hours anyway?

Fcuk this sh1t.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-22 04:06:09 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-8-20 20:15
sure George, moreover - here is 2h lunch break, so 8h working is really 10h beeing in the office/fac ...

Wut?

Why the hell should the full two hours be required?

I can take two hours in one break - but I need to take only at least half an hour break in a full work day.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-22 05:34:12 |Display all floors
468259058 Post time: 2012-8-22 03:55
agree.

Who the hell asked you?

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-22 07:46:52 |Display all floors
ColoradoDan Post time: 2012-8-22 03:08
If I recall correctly, the work week in Germany is 38 hours and in France it is 35 hours.  Also, mos ...

The Germans on the whole are very conscientious workers and their productivity is renowned so what if they have a 38 hour week and 5 weeks vacations?

The shorter working week was introduced to offset the effects of automation on the workforce, in many European countries. It is a kind of work rationing system allowing longer leisure time. The sort of thing that technology was promising the world in the fifties and which, owing to greed, never materialised for most countries.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.