Author: WhiteBear

[Original]good photos - how to make it? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-14 19:59:02 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-14 15:08
As a professional photographer I disagree entirely but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Copi ...

Originals. legal ones paid for by me and and registered with Adobe.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 20:04:03 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-14 18:16
Photoshop (now CS6) is a fine program but far too complex for the average user I believe this thre ...

I would agree that CS6 is more complex than is necessary for the average user. Most of what is necessary to be tweeked on an image can be achieved with Elements but not the difficult stuff which the average user would walk away from because they haven't got the right tool. A bit like carving using a chainsaw when you could be using a nice sharp chisel.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-14 20:09:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-14 20:21
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-14 18:16
Photoshop (now CS6) is a fine program but far too complex for the average user I believe this thre ...

Yes. But for a beginner or just "non professional" - it is easiest (and cheapest) to use some software provided by the camera producer.

This is what I do :)

Yes. If the photographer uses JPG files - it is impossible to make simpliest "global" corrections (EV, contrast, sharpness, WB, color tone) without loosing the quality. However an average user will not see the difference when the photos are used only for a family album, or (more likely today) only to show in the computer/tablet/website.

When I make photos that are intended to be printed in big size - I use RAW, select the best shots, then "develop it" to TIFF (making global corrections and adjustments), then edit it in PS.

But for a simple "holiday shots" - no problem with JPG.
Then to prepare it for a web - IrfanView (bath conversion with resize).

There was a time when I used RAW+JPG, but soon I begin to do it a different way - after the first selection and "developing" RAW to TIF - I do "bath conversion" TIF to JPG and now I have JPG as a "preview shots".
But I'm an amateur, and don't need for example to send the file immediately to the redaction ;)

Now one of my cameras don't have RAW at all, nor the manual presets (Tv, Av, etc.)
And for some situations - I can live with that

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 20:17:59 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2013-6-14 19:55
I just shoot in raw in the unlikely event that I decide to sell an image. However, everything that ...

Surely it is better to "tweak" unadulterated data than to try and correct data that has already been "tweaked" and compressed. The codecs in your camera software are taking control when making a jpg. You are starting from an inferior image.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 20:21:36 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-14 20:09
Yes. But for a beginner or just "non professional" - it is easiest (and cheapest) to use some softw ...

I guess everyone has their own methodology, but you seem to be taking the long route to your destination. Lightroom can be used as a stand alone program or as a PS add-on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 20:41:44 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-14 20:09
Yes. But for a beginner or just "non professional" - it is easiest (and cheapest) to use some softw ...

Getting back to the original thread I think virtually any camera can take very acceptable images without user interference.  The average amateur will rarely use photo software and will propably use his/her camera set to Auto. For pro use I use a Canon EOS 5 which is very heavy and lenses which are even heavier. I don't use this for holidays or travelling. I have a small Olympus four thirds DSLR with a couple of lenses which are light and easily transportable. It does have full manual controls if needed and can take RAW.......and what's more my wife loves to use it too. I usually have it set to aperture priority and let it sort itself out. If it doesn't get things quite right I can fix them later.

However, whatever camera is used I still maintain that it is composition which "makes" the photo. Most holiday snaps (especially Chinese ones ) have a person as the subject with perhaps a "scene" in the background. The person does not need to be 20 metres away or have to be in the centre of the shot facing the camera. Get in closer, have the subject looking at the view, vary the angles, have them doing something rather than just standing. REMEMBER that the camera doesn't know what it is looking at. If it sees a bright scene (sky/sun) you will get a dark photo or dark faces.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-14 20:56:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2013-6-14 20:58
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-6-14 20:41
Getting back to the original thread I think virtually any camera can take very acceptable images w ...

One of the "golden rules" that I remember - about photographing a persons ...

"If the photo is not good - it means that You were too far"

_____

About the cameras...
"heaviest artillery" I had was 40D with 70-200 f/4L
but after some time I came back to my old 350D
For everyday shots I use aperture priority (Av) or manual (M) mode.

For a static shots at home, and some situations when the reaction speed and print size is not important - I use (also old) Canon G3 that have brilliant (and "fast") lens, and some advanced modes.

Now for a "everyday shots" I bought Fujifilm XP50 - weatherproof compact camera that can survive a lot.
Last shots from the "empty village" and "dragon boats" was made with it (I'm still testing...).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.