Views: 7046|Replies: 18

be prepared [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-27 10:37:47 |Display all floors
Be prepared

Few tips from my experience and knowledge for those who lives in the city -  how to be prepared in case of flood, typhoon and other "not nice thing" that happens...

1. water. man can survive without food for month, without water - jus few days, and drinking water from the flood is not only dangerous idea, but could be deadly because of savages that are mixed with it. so, prepare drinking water supply for about 1 week (my advise - bottled water in 2-galon or 5l tanks, the same that we use for cooking etc., and some in smaller plastic bottles, that could fit in pocket), at list 2 l/day per person.

2. food. it is always good to have some extra food, with long storage time. cakes, canned food, etc. (ready - made, that don't needs cooking) .
when not a typhoon - there could happen another disaster, like too many hungry guests... so it is usefull anyway :) be aware of storage time, so once in a while You have to eat it anyway (and buy some another in replacement).

3. shelter. find one room in Your home or apartment, that have no big windows, but solid door, is small and positioned by the main construction walls. in case of strong typhoon - this is safest place. dont know where to look? what about bathroom? ;) don't wait for the last moment to go to the shelter. last moment is the one that You choose to go there. never go to the places with only one way out, and where are gas pipes... only when there is a earthquake - dont go to the shelter but first try to go out of the building (STAIRS! not elevtator!), in the case You can not leave the building - stand inside door arc of construction wall, or on the stairway (those are strongest places in almost every building).

4. health. always have some basic medicaments, first aid kit and so on. just small kit, just in case, with the hope that You will never have to use it.

5. communication is essential. when electricity is off, there is no chance to recharge Your beutifull iPhone every 2 days, so maybe its a good idea to have one old model with long-lasting battery? emergency communication (incluging mobile network) is keept even when there is no electricity in Your socket, and it's beter to be able to communicate, right?
in case when it is 1/2 or less battery left - turn phone off for most time, turning it on only for few minutes every few hours and try to call only when You see that network signall is OK.
when mobile network will be back to normal - it will register Your position even in this short moments, allowing rescue services to track You.
when You are in danger - call family or close relative (who lives outside of dangereous area!). first, tell them You position, condition, what kind of danger is it, what help do You need, and when You will be turning on Your phone in case of ending battery time (for example: this is Adam, I'm in my apartment [adress], I'm OK, this is typhoon strike here, no electricity and some building damages so I can't go out, need to evecuate when possible, have water supply for 5 days and food for 3 days, I'll turn on my phone every 6 hours for 15 minutes - at full hour, contact emergency services and told them that). if it's possible - send SMS with all that You have told them by the phone. why not call emergency services first? all emergency lines probably will be busy, and Your relatives can go to a police station in minutes. second reason is that Your relatives will now what is going on. if You change Your possition - ALWAYS call the same persons that before, and tell them (for example: this is Adam, I've found the way out and I'm outside building now). NEVER go to far from the position that You reported, unless it is criticall to Your safety (flood range etc.)

6. hygiene. don't You feel better when clean? so, when typhoon is comming take a good shower or bath. when electricity will be turned off (You don't know for how long... hour, days) there will be no water in pipes. if You have a bathtube - fill it with the water (could be used later). if You are cut-out in the building - wash regulary if it's possible even with a moisted cloth (to safe the water).

7. electricity. don't count only on electrical devices (like stove, keetle, pots etc.), It's good when You have gas stove, but when not - have one "for camping" (could be really small set - just in case. it is more important in small cities and rural regions, when electrical grid is repared last. in big city - You my expect few hour or day or two without it.

8. emergency kit. it's good to have few most important items in small weatherproof package, that You can pick up in a seconds.
- documents (ok, most of them You wear everyday, but some of others are also worth to be saved in critical moments, rigrt?)
- first aid kit (small one - pocket size)
- small torch (don't have to be strong light, but with long-lasting batteries - I'll recomend LED-torch, waterproof if possible)
- universal tool, or "swiss army knife" (if You don't have one - small pocket knife is also OK)
- change of underwear
- mobile phone with fully loaded and long lasting battery, with emergency numbers, and numbers for familly and relatives stored in it's memory
- plastic overcoat
- small radio receiver (to know the situation around)

Yes, this is not "complete survival" :) But usually You don't have to know what worm or plant can You eat, when You live in a city... :)

And remember... You can help others only when You are safe first. Other way -  You can be hero, but Your survival chances decreases. It's up to You.

If any of You have some other tips - please post it.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-6-13 09:26:34 |Display all floors
WTF.......................................NICE POST..................
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-13 23:04:58 |Display all floors
How to prepare for a fire escape? If you live in a high-rise apartment building, and it's too late to run away to the staircase, no balcony, just hang near the window?
btw some smoke alarm electronic devices are not dependable.
A system that cannot nip greed in the bud, this system becomes the breeding ground of crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 06:22:41 |Display all floors
shengshi Post time: 2013-6-13 23:04
How to prepare for a fire escape? If you live in a high-rise apartment building, and it's too late t ...

If it is to late to run to the stairs (there is more fire on the staircase than You can stand) - there is no to many choices.

First - put a wet cotton cloth over Your mouth and nose - to filter as much smoke as possible.
Stay LOW - smoke always goes up.
Take a mobile with You (if You can find it in few seconds), while doing other things - stay in touch with the emergency operator. First tell Your name, location (street, building, floor, room/apartment number), then what happens (in this case - fire, You ca not move to the staircase, You are unable to evacuate by Yourself)
Take OFF all the clothes made of artifical materials - replace it with some cotton or wool.
Go to the room with the window facing biggest street near. Tell the operator how to get to this room from Your front door.
Then - hang any big, bright cloth out of the window. (to notice that there is a person in this apartment - bed covers are good choice)
Put on as much cotton or wool clothes as possible. Then make it wet (cooling).
If there is still a water in the pipes - use it to make the front doors as wet as possible (if the doors are wooden). DON'T put any items to "block" the front doors. Firemens will go this way to help You.
If the fire is near, but You can still operate - remove as much flammable items as possible (by putting it away from the places near the fire - in this case probably from the front doors and the windows).
If there is no more You can do - it is too hot in the apartment - go to the room that You selected first, cover Your head under wet cotton (or woolen) clothes, stay near the window and far from the door... and pray if You believe in any gods.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 08:27:42 |Display all floors
In China it is good to be flexible...
In the event of an emergency - put your head between your legs
and kiss your a$$ goodbye
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-14 08:41:24 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2013-6-14 08:27
In China it is good to be flexible...
In the event of an emergency - put your head between your legs ...

This is always an option - if someone likes to kiss the asses.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-6-14 09:20:51 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2013-6-14 08:41
This is always an option - if someone likes to kiss the asses.

kiss the asses...would you please learn proper English or go play on a Polish site......you Engkish isn't funny it's sad....
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.