Author: expatter

Bengal: British Starve Millions   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-25 18:23:46 |Display all floors
Alex2010 Post time: 2012-7-25 17:21
We look onto those events with the moral standards of nowadays but we shouldn't forget that the st ...

A lesson many here haven't learned, thanks for pointing it out!

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-25 18:34:55 |Display all floors
Alex2010 Post time: 2012-7-25 18:19
Where did I say it wasn't a crime or that it was a noble thing? Still,India belonged to the Empire ...

Well that is a nonsense  ...........

Indians were not forced into the British army and India was not at war  .........

Many volunteered and in addition many also fought for the Japanese .........

The ones that fought for the British went home to no acclaim  ........

Whilst those that fought for the Japanese got a heroes welcome  .........

Therefore per se neither were Bengalese people bound to the war effort  ......

But there food was stolen from them and millions died  .........

As to the idea that morals were different at that time  ........

Are you sure you want to float that idea  ..........   ?

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:48:44 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 18:34
Well that is a nonsense  ...........

Indians were not forced into the British army and India was  ...

Who ruled India during WW2?Who called the shots and was thus able to "steal" the food? Was India an independent country and "neutral"/"not at war" or a British colony(although officially called Indian Empire but de facto a mere colony)? Did or did not the Governor General Lord Linlithgow declare war on Germany when the war broke out? That there was no conscription for Indians doesn't mean they were not at war....after all 2,5 million volunteer joined and fought.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:59:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Alex2010 at 2012-7-25 19:00

By the way...not even the author denies India was dragged into the war.
Another question comes to my mind...could the Japanese being in Burma and attempting to conquer India have something to do with it? East Bengalia would have been their first aim in India. And why would the British "steal" those food while they paid for lots of other things and invested in India...causing India having a surplus of £1,300 million at the end of the war. This all doesn't right fit into this "genocide" by stealing food story.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-25 19:04:36 |Display all floors
Sure .........

The puppet leaders stated they were at war in 1939 ..........

But I cannot remember German tanks in India  ........

I may have to look that one up  ........

The people were free to choose a side as with those that joined the Japanese army and those that decided not to fight .........

Anyway I think I get your point  ...........

They were 'collateral damage' .........

And therefore brought their own deaths upon themselves and the colonists had no responsibility to them .......

Oh ...........  !

Plus they are not 'white' another good reason to ignore this  ........

I believe after this conversation that we can concur that the 6 million 4 x 2's were also in a war zone and just 'collateral damage' especially as they came from countries that were at war   ........

Good another myth put to bed ..........      

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 19:24:34 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 19:04
Sure .........

The puppet leaders stated they were at war in 1939 ..........

I don't care how you call them...they were the actual rulers in India...FACT! And legally had the right to declare war,which they did. So India was de facto at war.

No,there were no German tanks in India,but Japanese troops in Burma and the British Empire(of which India was a part) at war with it,too. Despite that,it doesn't matter how far away an enemy is...if the state of war is called out. There were also no German tanks in Canada,were there?!

I don't know what kind of myths you are spinning here,but the Indian people for sure had no "free choice".

I'm really disappointed that you would consider arround 6 million industrial murdered people the same as allegedly starved 3 million.It hasn't even been proven true what the author claims.

I don't come often here recently but your threads and posts lost a lot of "quality"...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 19:47:39 |Display all floors
Alex2010 Post time: 2012-7-25 21:24
I don't care how you call them...they were the actual rulers in India...FACT! And legally had the  ...

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.