Author: expatter

Bengal: British Starve Millions   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-25 18:03:25 |Display all floors
Alex2010 Post time: 2012-7-25 17:59
Of course they are war death. The British Empire was at war.India was a part of this Empire. If th ...

No .......... !

The Bengalese people were not at war with anyone  ............

This has nothing to do with them .............

Their food was taken from them and millions starved to death .........

How can you even try to justify that  .......  ?

I am in agreement that some food should have been exported by their colonial masters  ........

But not to the extent they were treated as animals and left to die because the British stole their food .........

I cannot see how killing this people is a noble thing in your mind  ........

It is a crime  .........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:03:49 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 16:56
Oh  ..........  !

Could point give the food to the Brits and let the locals who grow it die  .... ...

No, there should've been provisions made to ensure all could sustain themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-25 18:04:45 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-7-25 18:03
No, there should've been provisions made to ensure all could sustain themselves.

Thank you ............

That is where I am trying to get to  ..........   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:19:22 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 18:03
No .......... !

The Bengalese people were not at war with anyone  ............

Where did I say it wasn't a crime or that it was a noble thing? Still,India belonged to the Empire...the Bengalese were a colonized people.And if your "master" was at war with anyone...you were automatically in it,too.This is what happened so many times in history before and is part of WW2...colonized/conquered people suffered most under the war. I don't justify it but I can't see a special case here....happened on all sides during WW2.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:21:18 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-7-25 18:03

We look onto those events with the moral standards of nowadays but we shouldn't forget that the standards were different that time.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:21:42 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 16:58
Oh  ........  !

No, it's not unimportant but you know darned well how often we're bombarded with such threads, now this, from a Brit? The  uninformed crew are gonna love you!

Thanks for bringing this thread to light though, it was just what is needed, another....uh oh, the colonialists did something wrong thread!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-25 18:23:18 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-25 17:04
Thank you ............

Very welcome old chap!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.