Author: expatter

Just Another Laowai Day in Beijing ……..   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-20 02:50:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wowzers at 2012-7-20 03:07
expatter Post time: 2012-7-19 22:17

It seems to me that your "Just Another Laowai Day in Beijing" lacks gravitas. The "Laowai" experience, as I see it,  can vary considerably by ethnicity & language skill. Neither of these you took into consideration.

If as I suspect, you are a Chinese man & UK bred (Or at least a reasonable facsimile), your day would be a similar experience for, let's say, an ABC. Depending on your Putonghua, the locals may even mistakenly accept you as one of their own, and treat you accordingly. (Of course, if you are thought to be from another fill in the blank, city/province in China then all bets are off)

The "Just Another Laowai Day in Beijing" will not be the same for others who do not look the same. Africans, Caucasians, Arabs, Indians, Latinos, etc. and if identified, Japanese & Koreans, will all have a different experience from the fable you are trying to pawn off here. Skin color, Country of origin & language skills can def affect your "Laowai Day" into something way different from your sunny account.

Lumping all "foreigners" into "Laowai" is just silly and trying to paint your picture as typical (If it is to be believed) is even sillier. All that is missing are cartoon frames depicting your scenes from "Just Another Laowai Day In Beijing":
You whistling & prancing merrily along the boulevard in Beijing. You frowning at the realization of the pestilence brought la familia from the UK, You winking knowingly at your companion as the "vehicle" whisked you away, You grilling the "effeminate looking man" which (actually) looked more like flirting. You looking all relieved then shocked when the "pleasant lady doctor" told you it was minor but expensive to treat. Oi Vay! What a day!

Here's a "helpful suggestion", please get an illustrator to paint some pretty pictures to go with your pretty prose. It won't make any of this,any more believable, but at least it can run in the funny papers.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-20 03:00:34 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2012-7-20 02:50
It seems to me that your "Just Another Laowai Day in Beijing" lacks gravitas. The "Laowai" experie ...

Another fool ............   

I am a WASP .......      

But I do appreciate your attempt to find out why you have the 'snow balls' syndrome ........

Attack, attack and when the heat is on just melt with the weather  ........

If in doubt ask your good  friend 'Zglobal' ...........   

That is a lot of words for a serious FAIL on your part   .........   

I give up on you and it could have been so much easier  .........

Four years ago I did give you the benefit of the doubt  ........

Four years later  ..........

You are still .............     {:soso_e174:}

{:soso_e120:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-20 12:04:39 |Display all floors
rot Post time: 2012-7-20 03:13
Windbag!
Your comments on your host were condecending, insulting and damn right arrogant!
You should ...
"The only good white man is a dead white man"?

Nah ...........

It was the Yanks who killed 9 million Asians for nothing who said  ........

"The only good Gook is a dead Gook" ..........

Check your history books  ..........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 12:44:28 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-7-20 12:29
Well, I'm Caucasian and my average day is pretty much like that.

There are some bad days which ar ...

Do you think your Caucasian experience mirrors that of an African?
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 12:45:31 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-7-20 12:33
It's a good post.

We are usually too focused on the negative (a foreigner attacked a Chinese, a Chi ...

Oh ..........  !

A compliment  ..........

And now I feel I have been 'mean' elsewhere  .........     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 13:39:41 |Display all floors
Was it Martin Luther King who said "The only good white man is a dead white man"?
He was a real smart guy............

He got that wrong  

Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 14:03:29 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-7-20 13:39
Was it Martin Luther King who said "The only good white man is a dead white man"?
He was a real smar ...

Yes .............

It doesn't sound like a peace activist does it ..............      

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.