Views: 4284|Replies: 20

Wind farms raise local and regional temperatures [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-19 02:23:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sansukong at 2012-7-20 07:44

Wind farms raise local and regional temperatures
by Jonathan DuHamel on Apr. 30, 2012, under Climate change, Energy

From the unintended consequences department: A new study, which confirms several previous studies, presents observational evidence that shows “a significant warming trend of up to 0.72 °C per decade, particularly at night-time, over wind farms relative to nearby non-wind-farm regions.”

The paper and abstract:

Zhou, Liming, Yuhong Tian, Somnath Baidya Roy, Chris Thorncroft, Lance F. Bosart and Yuanlong Hu 2012: Impacts of wind farms on land surface temperature. Nature Climate Change. doi:10.1038/nclimate1505

The abstract reads

The wind industry in the United States has experienced a remarkably rapid expansion of capacity in recent years and this fast growth is expected to continue in the future. While converting wind’s kinetic energy into electricity, wind turbines modify surface–atmosphere exchanges and the transfer of energy, momentum, mass and moisture within the atmosphere. These changes, if spatially large enough, may have noticeable impacts on local to regional weather and climate. Here we present observational evidence for such impacts based on analyses of satellite data for the period of 2003–2011 over a region in west-central Texas, where four of the world’s largest wind farms are located. Our results show a significant warming trend of up to 0.72?°C per decade, particularly at night-time, over wind farms relative to nearby non-wind-farm regions. We attribute this warming primarily to wind farms as its spatial pattern and magnitude couples very well with the geographic distribution of wind turbines.

This phenomenon has implications for the surface temperature record in that it tends to bias the readings. Dr. Roger Pielke (University of Colorado) notes that “Because of the redistribution phenomena and the shallow layer affected, observed minimum temperatures are a very poor measure of the accumulation of heat in the atmosphere.” As a consequence, he recommends, “the minimum land surface air temperature should not be used as part of the construction of a global average multi-decadal surface temperature trend.” Pielke maintains that any large-scale land use change such as urbanization and deforestation can have similar results.

I’ve reported a previous study by M.I.T. study that found similar results:

Electricity generated by wind power may raise temperatures and costs

Copyrighted by Jonathan DuHamel. Reprint is permitted provided that credit of authorship is provided and linked back to the source. Check the ARTICLE INDEX page for more posts on geology, natural history of the Sonoran desert, climate change, and energy. Also check the BOOK REVIEWS page.

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-19 07:39:04 |Display all floors
What about rat farms?

You think this forum is a rat farm?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 07:12:01 |Display all floors
The temperature rises as one approaches a large city I have noticed, but have not detected this phenomenon when passing by a wind farm.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 08:16:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-19 21:38
Hey dummy:\

what sort of a "professional" or "expert" have you located this time?

San treats this forum as a rat farm.
Spamming this forum with rat sh it.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 20:23:43 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-20 15:08
It's another fart thought up by Sans Souci's Climate Change denier conspirators' association.

Sa ...

The biosphere is a very complex system to be able to predict with any certainty. I remain skeptical on this issue.

However if a building is hermetically sealed and the only energy in or out is through the walls and the glass in the windows, then the temperature inside the building can easily be calculated knowing the conditions outside. But if a fire breaks out inside the building with the furniture on fire then the temperature inside is going to rise unpredictably.

Similarly with the biosphere, a certain seasonal pattern emerged over time which is conducive to life as we know it. Energy enters the biosphere and energy escapes, barring any large events like volcano eruptions and large forest fires the conditions within will largely be determined by the conditions outside.

The problems arose when humans started burning fossil fuels within the biosphere and added to the unpredictability of the climate. Like the burning of the furniture in the building example, the effect will be difficult to predict...... but one can be sure..... it is not going to get cooler.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 20:25:47 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2012-7-20 20:23
The biosphere is a very complex system to be able to predict with any certainty. I remain skeptica ...

Of ,course the subject is too difficult for you........is that surprising?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-20 21:22:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by TheHermit at 2012-7-20 21:38
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-7-20 20:25
Of ,course the subject is too difficult for you........is that surprising?

Nope.........I am aware of the problem......and largely on top of it.

But I envy people like you.......Your single brain cell and its binary logic reigns supreme, no ambivalence nor hesitation, there is always one opinion and it is always right.........

Consider yourself blessed........."for blessed are the poor........"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.