Author: expatter

Syria Shoots Down Turkish F4 Plane ............   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-23 14:45:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-23 11:31
A little strange, isn't it?

The BBC quotes:

"A Syrian military statement said that an "unidentified air target" had penetrated Syrian airspace from the west at 11:40 local time (08:40 GMT), travelling at very low altitude and at high speed.

It said that in line with the laws prevailing in such cases, Syrian air defences engaged the craft, and scored a direct hit about 1km (0.6 miles) from its coastline.

It burst into flames, and crashed into the sea at a point 10km (6 miles) from the village of Om al-Tuyour, off the coast of Latakia province, well within Syrian territorial waters, the statement added."

That looks a pretty confident Syrian statement to me and probably verifiable depending on depth of water and currents. It might be realsonable to say something like "sorry you brought it on yourselves" or something similar but, if the Syrians did say "Sorry" it doesn't look as if it was an admission of an act of war.

(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 14:47:09 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-23 14:27
Bashir Assad is now in a much weaker position to dictate conditions for his permanent holiday away f ...

The aggressors are those attacking Syria. The Syrian government did not violate Turkish airspace but defended its own.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 14:48:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-6-23 14:48
seneca Post time: 2012-6-23 14:27
Bashir Assad is now in a much weaker position to dictate conditions for his permanent holiday away f ...

and you think al qaida will be better neighbour of Israel?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 14:57:12 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2012-6-23 14:45
The BBC quotes:

"A Syrian military statement said that an "unidentified air target" had penetrat ...
if the Syrians did say "Sorry" it doesn't look as if it was an admission of an act of war.

The Turkish government is very adept at lies and propaganda, so I would not put much credence in that report, unless corroborated by the Syrians.

I very much doubt that any country would apologize to an intruder, it should be the other way round.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 15:19:27 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2012-6-23 14:45
The BBC quotes:

"A Syrian military statement said that an "unidentified air target" had penetrat ...
That looks a pretty confident Syrian statement to me and probably verifiable depending on depth of water and currents. It might be realsonable to say something like "sorry you brought it on yourselves" or something similar but, if the Syrians did say "Sorry" it doesn't look as if it was an admission of an act of war.

that is way i understood it too , Syria said sorry but you started it by illegal act of entry in our space.

It is very much so indeed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 15:37:15 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-23 16:52:56 |Display all floors
TheHermit Post time: 2012-6-23 14:57
The Turkish government is very adept at lies and propaganda, so I would not put much credence in ...

ALL governments lie. It is just a question of who we want to believe regardless of the facts.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.