Author: expatter

Is There Really a Crackdown or Just Media Hype ..... ?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-6-23 20:19:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-6-23 20:21
seneca Post time: 2012-6-23 20:14
Ah Expatter Deerie: You know apparently much better than I how the Chinese law can be bent:

If you have some proof on accidental over-stayers then post it ........

Especially the ones who jump out of windows because 'they' didn't know .............

Or you might use an idea such as  ............

"""In my personal opinion ........  """"

Does that also apply to your accusation that there is widespread disregard for the laws or do you have some data on that  ........... ?  

Oh BTW: Bastardize my handle or call me Deerie one more time I will report you and I will expect action from same  ..............

If you are not intelligent enough to comply then do not respond to my replies. You are already disrutive enough here with your name-calling so let us not go back down that path .............

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-6-23 21:24:03 |Display all floors
Thank you .............

I can mostly concur to some extent ............

And without doubt many Chinese employers of Laowais do take the proverbial p1ss as I have also met some who have been ensnared by them ......

I think the authorities are mostly patient and fair with those odd situations  ........

But I do believe that there are some nationalities who 'try it on' to stay in China illegally thinking they will stay till they get their riches to go home with  .........

They also are known for that tendency in other countries  ............   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-24 13:57:24 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-24 13:30
"They (certain nationalities) are known for that tendency in other countries..."

I think you are  ...

Ooooh, no, no, no ………………   

What "certain nationalities" do you have on your radar?

I will not be jumping barrels and hooplas to place my neck on any racist block, at least not today ………   

China is an attractive place to many nationalities who come from countries that have very little infrastructure of their own, and additionally there are many from Europe and America who find the stability of any job attractive ………

A good example is the number of French people in the UK and similarly, Greeks, Spanish and Portuguese who are looking to go anywhere just for work ………………..

I do not think the number of people who come to work in China can be blamed on China, but rather one must ask why to find the root cause  …………  ?

And the prized ‘white’ display is a fact of life here where the psyche is maybe that the ‘da bizi’ shows western expertise and therefore holding  a certain credibility. I think we might have to blame that on the way a small European force twice defeated the Qings and also led by a white the Qings crushed the Taiping Rebellion and another in the north of which the name eludes me for the present  ………..

And of course add to that that Anglos used to have advanced economies and some of them speak the ‘Queen’s’ English, then you have a mythical race of ‘super beings’ ……………..

Again: I ask you what nationalities exploit legal loopholes to stay in China?

Many probably, and based on my earlier ideas  ………….

If I were in China illegally for several years, my, I would be punishing myself: no retirement contribution, no medicare, no unemployment benefits even back home...  

I would imagine if one came from a third world country, then China would look extremely attractive and whilst that may not apply to you, it certainly might to many others  …………     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-24 15:29:31 |Display all floors

100 Day Visa strike against foreigners  ……….
British woman hassler
uncontrolled Russian cellist

I believe it is proper and correct to ensure that ALL foreigners irrespective of colour should hold a legitimate visa in any country. When the police do not enforce then this ends up with the HR crowd bleeding about how long the person has been in that community, and how that illegal should now have the right to stay for cleverly evading the law for so long and producing 'rug-rats' in that same place. As to the bad behavior, I believe the darling of ‘freedom’ the internet made those into Super-Nova events that made them so highly visible. You cannot praise the internet for its power for people such as a recent blind guy and then criticize it when it does not suit.

Umm  ……….. ?

………..or even Africans do?

I think they do stand out very visibly with an extra uniqueness of their own …………..

They think my whiteness is marketable but they do not want to go through the legal loops to hire me. I refuse then, but do others refuse?

If one goes to expat forums one will find many cases of employment abuse of whites and blacks by unscrupulous Chinese employers and many show instances of those who complied or just didn’t know.  The worst are those where the contract only suddenly became available after commencement of the employment.

But that is why anyone seeking to work somewhere else should do their homework. The internet was mentioned here earlier and that is the best place to start. When I moved to southern China years ago that was the first thing I did and that included living standards and crime.

Personally I do not even go on a long car-journey without checking the route first and responsible people should do the same when it comes to working in another country.

Oh! .......

And let us not forget that around the world naive young ladies often end up in a life of prostitution because they chased a job in a foreign land only to be trapped for good    ........  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-25 15:40:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-25 13:39
Sorry, Expatter: Did you get carried away again?
No one in the entire world would ever plead with the Chinese authorities to let foreign visa overstayers or II's live longer in China.

I believe that is incorrect and that the western media would make themselves the jury and the judge just like they do in the UK to support the HR of illegal immigrants who have settled.  I believe that this also happens with Mexicans in America ...........

Please edit out the word 'Deerie' from your post. It is unnecessary and socially unacceptable .......

If it is still there when I look back later then I will report you for having homosexual and abusive tendencies towards me ...........

I wish you would grow up .........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-27 16:12:44 |Display all floors
i don't see why people are so upset, WHY ARE FOREIGNERS GETTING ANGRY AT BEING TREATED LIKE CHINESE IN CHINA?? i have a fewchinese friends who often get stopped and aske for their ID cards. ALSO, this 100day crack down was announced at the end of 2011, at their national peoples congress, when they drafted a bill ( not sure if they call it bill here!!) on illegal immigration, but its easy to see that the beijing incident did make them move faster. as to how foreigners are treated here,i and most of my friends have had nothing but good interactions, but i do have only 1 experience of ill-treatment - a chinese guy went crazy at my friend..called police..police detained her and then her son...crazy crazy...but do i let this one bad experience tar my view..of course not..though it does remind us to be cautious

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-28 00:13:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-6-27 21:48
I say it again, albeit a little more strongly: Your post makes no sense. It is utter rubbish. No W ...
I say it again, albeit a little more strongly: Your post makes no sense. It is utter rubbish. No Western government or media organisation would "plead" with the Chinese officials to let foreigners stay on in China.

Well .............

At the end of the day that is just a point of view and you can make is strongly as you wish .........

However, I seem to remember that foreign intervention in the rules of China makes for a powerful play to influence public opinion when it suits  .........

Such as in the case of the Pakistani with the British passport under sentence of death for drug smuggling to China who had been in detention for two years a Mr. Shaikh  ........

The British government and the media only ramped it up or did anything when sentence was about to be carried out .........

And they did so in an obviously political manner whilst ignoring completely to suit that it was not a case as simple as presented by the British media but rather a time for the Prime Minister of that time to boost his flagging status  ..........

He was a political 'convenience' and the compliant media went along to stir up public feeling that had not previously been there  ........

As I stated they cared little collectively for two years until it became another 'cause-celebre' ........

It was certainly accepted by some in this forum as the same whilst they conveniently accepted the death of two Japanese in the same situation without comment ........

To ignore the power of the media is to admit ignorance in this world and I believe very strongly you should look at that again, especially given that the world we live in is mostly based on falsehoods which are actually promoted by that same media   .......

That is of course if you even care  ............   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.