Author: antimatter

**Typical Chinese Slowness, 7th Varyag Sea Trial yet to land the J15 plane**   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-19 08:42:25 |Display all floors
edisonone Post time: 2012-6-19 07:09
C'mon, Kiwi!  It's not as if they don't have Indy 500;s in the PRC... WWII/Korea war era flyboy's  ...

Easy Ed, institutional knowledge and also, "Red Flag" and Top Gun and experienced instructors and so on!
China has approximately zero knowledge of  carrier OPs and has to learn from the ground up, or, in this case, deck level up!
Naval carrier based aircraft aren't cheap you know and while China's pockets are deep, experienced pilots, active or reserve, are too few for anybody in the Chinese naval circles to be blase' about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 11:52:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by edisonone at 2012-6-18 19:59
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-18 16:42
Easy Ed, institutional knowledge and also, "Red Flag" and Top Gun and experienced instructors and  ...

In my younger -- know nutin' -- days, Kiwi, elderly Chinese folks kidded with me. They say: Be carefull, Ed, where you place that speedometer of yours when you manage to get behind the wheel of that first car. They naughtily attempted to strike fear into me saying that, if I were to place that speedometer in this car via the left side that there are teeths as sharp as piranas and my speedometer would get chewed up. They then continued by saying if I were to place it via the right instead, that I would get poisoned because the right side excretes a very toxic substance and I'd die instantly. And if via the topside that I'd be rendered blind, or, if I go via the lower route that a family of deadly cobra nests there and they would come out and strike me dead. They closed the joke by saying that a very fine medium exists for which extreme care must be exercised if I were to get this car warmed, purring, and merily on my way. Boy, when I did get that car, I was so dumb that not only had I forgotten what the elderly Chinese Gentlemens had told me not to do, but that I was dumb to the point that I simply hit the gas pedal all the way to the floor and Man!!!, what I found was... was...  Damn! What did Laughing call it again{:soso_e113:} ???  La-la land? Was it???  

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 12:15:03 |Display all floors
edisonone Post time: 2012-6-19 10:52
In my younger -- know nutin' -- days, Kiwi, elderly Chinese folks kidded with me. They say: Be care ...

Yes, I realise the fine line that must be trodden by the PLA-N, probably better than most. This doesn't exclude them from the fact that the warplanes are expensive, pilots are expensive and we won't even go into accident damage on the vessel itself.

I'm simply pointing out that China's foay into carrier OPs is going to be long and sometimes painful, just as it was for other nations from 60 - 100 years ago.

China simply doesn't have the knowledge, yet, to operate this ship at it's maximum efficiency. Such knowledge is not gained in peacetime so much as war tempo's are a lot more demanding and accidents are more apt to happen and invariably will! China, right now simply doesn't have this institutional knowledge.........it's that simple!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 12:39:29 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-18 20:15
Yes, I realise the fine line that must be trodden by the PLA-N, probably better than most. This do ...

it's an art, kiwi. it's a science. it's definitely not 60-100 years of whatever...
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 12:41:50 |Display all floors
edisonone Post time: 2012-6-19 11:39
it's an art, kiwi. it's a science. it's definitely not 60-100 years of whatever...

Yes, but just because China developed so quickly over the past 30 odd years doesn't mean they can develop everything so quickly Ed!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-20 03:44:52 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-18 20:41
Yes, but just because China developed so quickly over the past 30 odd years doesn't mean they can  ...

Disagreement duly accepted, Kiwi.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-20 04:20:58 |Display all floors
Landing an aircraft on a moving aircraft carrier doesn't just involve the skill of the pilot.  An aircraft carrier is a complex system.  The sailors who support the air wing operations must also be thouroughly trained.  Even if the PLA-N had a pilot today that already had the skill to land on the ship, the systems on the ship that allow that to happen successfully are not in place.

It's just a matter of time, but everyone needs to be trained.  

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.