Views: 6316|Replies: 23

Have Chinese universities lost their own features? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-18 09:15:12 |Display all floors
Have Chinese universities lost their own features?

By Chen PIngyuan (China Youth Daily)14:01, May 17, 2012

Edited and translated by People's Daily Online

It is easy for domestic colleges and universities to draw on foreign experience, but they can hardly maintain their own characteristics during the process. More than 30 years after the Reform and Opening-up, Chinese academic circles are regressing in terms of independence and confidence, instead of progressing. Five misleading school-running ideas need to be corrected.

The first misleading idea is that domestic colleges and universities must be "geared to international standards." Higher learning institutions in China are imitating their U.S. counterparts slavishly. Science educators have blind faith in Science Citation Index (SCI), and liberal arts educators accord great importance to Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) and Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI). Furthermore, they also prefer to recruit professors who have studied at a prestigious university in the United States or Europe.

The second misleading idea is that good colleges and universities should merge with each other. College and university mergers have both advantages and disadvantages. It is generally hard for two "strong" colleges or universities to merge, and a forced merger can cause many avoidable problems. Too much internal friction can cost the merged college or university 10 years or even 20 years in adjusting itself. The merger between "strong" and "weak" higher learning institutions is more practical because a good university must have a dominant style. There will be too much internal friction if the merger occurs between two "strong" colleges and universities.

The third misleading idea is that colleges and universities should "learn from others' strengths and overcome their own weaknesses." Admittedly, a college or university cannot make true progress behind closed doors, and must learn from both domestic and foreign famous universities. However, due to various assessment criteria and rankings, domestic colleges and universities have constantly added new majors in the process of "learning from others' strengths and overcoming one's own weaknesses," leading to the disappearance of their own characteristics.

The fourth misleading idea is that colleges and universities must "meet market needs." Every year, China sends state-funded students to foreign business or law schools that offer good career prospects. However, governments and universities should use scholarships to adjust social needs, instead of rewarding students for choosing hot majors. It may be hard for a student of ancient Greek philosophy or literature to land a good job, but he or she should be rewarded since that part of knowledge is essential to human civilization. By the same logic, state-funded international students should be required to study particular majors.

The fifth misleading idea is that colleges and universities should sign as many cooperation agreements with foreign prestigious universities as possible. Frankly speaking, many of these agreements are just empty promises, and are often shelved shortly after they were signed.

Literary scholars have good reason to reject unsuitable foreign standards. Chinese colleges and universities do not have to do exactly what U.S. counterparts do, or to adopt their language or evaluation criteria.

Read the Chinese version: 如何建立中国大学的独立与自信

(Editor:梁军、马茜)
FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-5-19 10:21:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by china.pm at 2012-5-19 10:21

Not only Chinese University, but many other things have been internationalized.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-19 10:34:08 |Display all floors
Have Chinese universities lost their own features?

a better question is what own features are worth keeping?;P

why not Imperial Exams restricted to poetry?
or Three Character Classic or Confucian Edicts?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-19 11:02:44 |Display all floors

RE: Have Chinese universities lost their own features?

seneca Post time: 2012-5-18 16:46
Indeed, the unique characteristic of Chinese institutions is ...being "Chinese". Just drop all the c ...
Literary scholars have good reason to reject unsuitable foreign standards. Chinese colleges and universities do not have to do exactly what U.S. counterparts do, or to adopt their language or evaluation criteria.

Chinese Institutions of higher learning should retain their Chinese characteristics without having to dance to every tune called by western institutions. Modernatisation of a Chinese Institution of higher learning does not mean to westernise it to as a copy or mode of a western institution of higer learning. To each its own.
FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-19 11:17:42 |Display all floors
sansukong Post time: 2012-5-19 11:02
Chinese Institutions of higher learning should retain their Chinese characteristics without havin ...
  1. Chinese Institutions of higher learning should retain their Chinese characteristics without having to dance to every tune called by western institutions. Modernatisation of a Chinese Institution of higher learning does not mean to westernise it to as a copy or mode of a western institution of higer learning. To each its own.
Copy code
what I can read herein is a bundle of emotions but nothing of substance.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-19 11:36:34 |Display all floors

You are entitled to your braying and I am entitled to my emotions .... as you have put it. As I have said before: To each his own!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-19 12:09:37 |Display all floors

seneca Post time: 2012-5-19 10:59
Did you acquire your incomplete education at an "institution" with "Chiense characteristics"? It d ...
Did you acquire your incomplete education at an "institution" with "Chiense characteristics"? It does seem to show, you know.

You are thoroughly a FAKE! I have categorically stated that my English is self-taught. Do you know the meaning of being self-taught? I learned it by myself. Simple English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.