Views: 3950|Replies: 6

How would you react if you are faced with racial abuse in a foreign country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-24 15:06:16 |Display all floors
Have you ever had such accidents? How did you deal with them?

If you haven't ecountered such incidents yet but expect them to happen sooner or later, how would you react?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 20:21:27 |Display all floors
I have had an occasional racist dialogue thrown at me in mainland China, but more often in Hong Kong.

The offenders have been (apparently) wealthy middle-aged women. Whether it has been in banks, elevators, getting off the metro, the common thread was an apparent belief that they, as wealthy women, had some sort of entitlement that was above anyone else.

When they were challenged on their (self-bestowed) sense of entitlement, they took great offence and resorted to xenophobic diatribe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 20:37:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-4-24 20:07
Since this is the "China and the world" section I will share an experience I had as a world citizen  ...

Thanks for telling your experience. And I hope the other forum members could also contribute their stories. Not only when you are in China - if you are not Chinese, but also in other countries.

I also hope the posters could get me right: nothing personal against any people or any country. We all know well that racism is still widespread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 21:37:58 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-4-24 20:56
An anecdote from France:

(Just because the OP requested to have examples brought here from countr ...

Was that really racism?

I've dealt with a lot of bus drivers and have gotten no slack if I did not have my bus pass or correct change.  That kind of goes for everyone.

It IS a nuisance for them when you are not prepared.  I don't know how the french system works, but here, they have to account for all the passengers and their fees.  You can't have a bunch of people riding for free without documentation, you could get fired!

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 21:46:26 |Display all floors
Since it is in the news, I'll relate an incident that occurred in Australia.

I was on the bus with my wife. The bus pulled up to a stop and the usual gaggle of students clambered on. The bus was about to pull away when a pretty young indian girl appeared on the opposite side of the road. Although she it was rush hour the bus driver patiently waited for her, (about 3 minutes) so she could cross the road and get on. I was quite happy at his effort despite the time lost.
At the very next stop a similar thing occurred except this time the person waiting was an African man of about forty with a small boy, he was on the same side of the road, in front of the driver and running with his hand upraised. The driver clearly saw him, closed the door looked away and left the curb while the African  man waved at him.
The bus driver was Indian.

I'll leave readers to decide if it was racism or not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 21:52:34 |Display all floors
vorgal78 Post time: 2012-4-24 21:46
Since it is in the news, I'll relate an incident that occurred in Australia.

I was on the bus with  ...

It could mean that the driver was sweet on that particular girl and waiting on people is not something he normally does.

I had a driver like that once.  He would always wait on me but I never saw him do that with others.  But then again, he wasn't giving out his phone number to other passengers either.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 22:06:55 |Display all floors
True enough, I think that him thinking with what hangs between his legs may have been more likely, it is unfortunate that his actions probably caused the child to be late for school (the bus is awful in general for that) and generally made him look like a d$ck to other passengers, many of whom muttered to themselves in disbelief and disgust.
That's the way the world is I guess.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.