Views: 3880|Replies: 6

How do you protect yourself in a foreign country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-13 14:06:32 |Display all floors

Two Chinese students were shot dead in California.

How do you protect yourself if you are -- whether living there or studying there -- in a foreign country?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-13 14:58:52 |Display all floors
-If you're new in an area try to get some information about the neighborhood

-Don't go out on your own but always in a group of people

-Do not frequent notorious night clubs/bars unless you are in a company of friends

-Do not return home in the wee hours of the morning if you live in a not so nice/secure area.

-Scan/watch your surroundings when walking  alone.

-Do not try to be a hero if somebody wants your money/car key etc.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 15:05:47 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-13 14:58

-Don't go out on your  ...

Very detailed instructions.

Don't know what exactly happened to the two, but maybe the other Chinese students can learn a thing or two from the incident.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-13 15:14:50 |Display all floors
One more point which I forgot:

Never take much money with you when leaving the house/hotel etc. but always carry enough money to not upset a potential robber.

Btw, robbery or even armed robbery can happen anywhere. There are places/countries where it is more common than in others but even the safest places are not completely immune against crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-13 15:43:58 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-13 15:14
One more point which I forgot:

Never take much money with you when leaving the house/hotel etc. but ...

Totally.

It's unfortunate that some here see the case as one pitting China against the US, and even more unfortunate the Chinese media cares more about BMW than the lives of the Chinese students.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-14 16:12:14 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-13 14:58

-Don't go out on your  ...

Do not go to notorious night clubs/bars EVEN if you are in company of friends.  If you have a group of 20 armed bodyguards then you may.  
if you can be happy with what you have, dont wait for more

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-14 23:16:06 |Display all floors
Protecting yourself is exactly the same no matter what country you are in. Just don't behave stupidly.

For the story, I have withdrawed money at various ATMs in China countless time without any problem. An american friend of mine came to China for business, needed money, went to the ATM... and was assaulted right away, the robber left with his 2000 RMB and my friend got a few stitches over his left eye.

This is just to show that sometimes people suffer bad luck, no matter what they do, it's impossible to be 100% safe (and needless to say I couldn't convince my friend that China is a VERY safe country compared to other places in South East Asia).
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.